SuperCharger where A/C sits on a Mx3 (not probe)?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Juans_93_MX3

SuperCharger where A/C sits on a Mx3 (not probe)?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I asked this question on Probetalk.com, only thing was I got answeres back from Probe owners. Someone on here mentioned it is possible, somone on that website told me its not possible on a MX3?

I want to clear this out, is it possible to put a S/C where the A/C sits (removal of A/C)?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
solo_ryder

Re: SuperCharger where A/C sits on a Mx3 (not probe)?

Post by solo_ryder »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:I asked this question on Probetalk.com, only thing was I got answeres back from Probe owners.
HAHAHA makes sense if you think about it.. :roll:
Someone on here mentioned it is possible, somone on that website told me its not possible on a MX3?

I want to clear this out, is it possible to put a S/C where the A/C sits (removal of A/C)?
Yea, you may need to run a set of slimline type fans and relocate the oil filter IIRC to make it fit, but I think it is doable.. I have seen paxtons take that spot before, but a m62 may be abit tougher to get into that spot.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I honestly tried.. but comapring the probe gts engine bay to ours... i couldnt seem to make it fit.. if you do get it to fit let us know please!!! im currently looking for another k8 mx3.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Hec, did u actually try to get a m62 in that spot?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

no i was seeing that a minicooper supercharge may fit, the m62 didnt. maybe an m42 or something of that sort. You need to relocate the oil filter tho.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Audessy

Post by Audessy »

I looked all over the place for someone who's done this and found nothing. The only k8/kl supercharger guys I found used that high maintenance transfer shaft that travels from belt side to intake side. The bearings like to go out on them a lot, causes extra vibration, and robs power. Other times I've seen the mx-6 and probe guys use a weird supercharger that is built into the intake manifold. It's too tough for an mx-3 to get this kind of mod because we only have so much room between the intake and upper firewall.

You might be interested to know that I found at one time a bunch of mercedes kompressor superchargers for 200 bucks. They were blower style already (not the intake manifold type with that giant open square). YES it was a real supercharger. Not electric. This supercharger appeared small enough to fit in the a/c spot. I didn't have the funds at the time to experiment but hopefully someone else will. I'm not sure about the max boost on them but if you have a ze you really don't want to shove too much over 6lbs anyway.

So it seems logical, yes. Only problem is piping which also wouldn't be a problem... if you're willing to get creative.

I often thought about what if I could move the radiator somewhere else? Say to the rear of the car, run ducts and extra pipes to it. The lesser efficiency of a ducted radiator could be made up by more coolant capacity, more travel time, and more engine bay air circulation. It might be a stupid idea, but it's worth finding out about. Heck, put the battery back there and radiator and you should have a better weight spread. The main thing stopping me is the water pump. I don't think a stock one could push all that extra coolant.

The idea of a supercharger to me is the most attractive type of forced induction. Hardly any extra bay heat, easily maintainable, and oh yeah... you won't be like the other 90% of tuners out there.

Return to “Forced Induction”