CAI Question. Please no flaming. lol

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
zombiechow

CAI Question. Please no flaming. lol

Post by zombiechow »

Before anyone says anything...I did use the search feature lol. My question is when it comes to a short ram or cold air intake for the 92 1.6 sohc I have looked at the ebay kits and I don't see how you still connect the MAF. What do I have to have to still connect the MAF? I saw something about a VAF? from the Rx7 and I also wondered if you could take a MAF from a later MX-3 that fits along with the tubing. Would it still plug in the same? The stinking MAF on mine is a huge metal contraption that wouldn't fit ;).

Thanks guys for your imput.

You don't have to hold my hand just point me in the right direction.

ZC
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

at least u tried more than i can say for others

these ebay cai come with a bracket for the vaf that will bolt on and allow u to put a filter or rubber culper . the later vaf from the mx-3 will not work with the 92-93 mx-3 the 2nd gen rx-7 vaf will work for ur mx-3

sorry for quick answers just woke up
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
zombiechow

Post by zombiechow »

So the kit comes with an adapter to plug the MAF sensor into? I know the car won't run without the MAF sensor attached and registering air flow. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

First off i would just like to set this straight so that everyone is on the same page.

The difference between a MAF, VAF and MAP

First off VAF (vain air flow), what comes stock on the B6 engine.
Looks like this:

Secondly we have the MAF (mass air flow) comes stock on the k8 engines.
Looks like this:

And finally MAP (manifold absolute pressure) wich does not come on a mx-3
Looks like this:

Hope this helps everyone understand the terminology.
- Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Sorry man.. but on the K8's.. its VAF (Volume Air Flow) sensor. In the shop manual. And after checking the shop manual a bit more.. the 92-93 one you have pictured is refered to as a "Air flow" Sensor by the 92 shop manual.. but its referred to as a "Mass air flow" sensor by the 95 (though the unit did change design in 94)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
zombiechow

Post by zombiechow »

Bocheck you're awesome. That's exactly the picture I need. Princess was telling me about that plate adapter. I have a better idea what I am looking for now. Tunes thanks for your input too. :) Thanks for the clarification. You guys are great.

ZC
Princess*Precidia

Post by Princess*Precidia »

there was alot of plate adaptors at mopac when i went.
i believe mine was a 1996, just make sure u get the right bolt pattern.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Bochek wrote:First off i would just like to set this straight so that everyone is on the same page.

The difference between a MAF, VAF and MAP

First off VAF (vain air flow), what comes stock on the B6 engine.
Looks like this:

Looks like this:

And finally MAP (manifold absolute pressure) wich does not come on a mx-3
Looks like this:

Hope this helps everyone understand the terminology.
- Bochek
i notice that i put vaf for the later MX-3's

sorry about that like i said i was just waking up./

wondering why u where posting that stuff..

later mx-3 use a maf is u happy now..

i hope so..

and i use a GM map senor

gotta love that shyt better than a vaf or maf
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Tunes67 wrote:
Sorry man.. but on the K8's.. its VAF (Volume Air Flow) sensor. In the shop manual. And after checking the shop manual a bit more.. the 92-93 one you have pictured is refered to as a "Air flow" Sensor by the 92 shop manual.. but its referred to as a "Mass air flow" sensor by the 95 (though the unit did change design in 94)

Tunes67
The k8 uses a hot wire type sensor does it not? any hot wire type sensor according to ASE standards is considered a MAF and any type that uses a trap door is considered a VAF

It is possible that the online shop manual does not use proper terminology.
zombiechow

Post by zombiechow »

ok so by no big surprise I went to the auto parts stores here in town and they really had no idea what I was looking for.

Not only did they not have them on the shelves one guy at autozone told me to go look on the internet and see if they offer them on their website. He couldn't even look it up for me lol.

The guy at O'riley's said you could only get that plate adapter by buying the whole MAF sensor or I could buy it from the dealership. So boo for all that.

Can anyone suggest another option. I am thinking I will just order a CAI kit from ebay if it comes with it. I actually don't want a true CAI because it floods regularly around here and don't want to be changing all the time unless I could make it a really easy switchout from CAI to a Short ram or something like that.

I'm frustrated and we also have no good parts yards around here. We have no performance shops around here and people act ignorant when it comes to import tuning. Anyway that's my venting thank you for listening :)

Thanks for your advice so far guys and I would appreciate your input still.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I have the plate adapter if you want to stick a cone filter on the end of your VAF.

Just throw me enough to ship it.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Princess*Precidia

Post by Princess*Precidia »

hey Zombie,

I can buyyou a brand new plate adapter tonight and ship it out tomorrow if you want.
They've got plenty here at mopac.

its $16 brand new and comes with a gasket.

let me know if you want a new one.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The k8 uses a hot wire type sensor does it not? any hot wire type sensor according to ASE standards is considered a MAF and any type that uses a trap door is considered a VAF
To be honest.. I dont know what a hot wire type sensor is. The K8 VAF has a plunger that moves when air is sucked past it (or blown past it if you want to get technical). This sounds more like the "Trap Door" type that you mentioned before. But I dont know much about that specific ase terminology.

I think that there is also a air temp sensor built into both the MAF and VAF's of our MX-3's that cause the ECU to enrichen the fuel mixture when air temps drop below a specified value. This prevents our engines from running too lean during cold weather. I also think its one part of what kills our gas mileage during the winter.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Tunes67 wrote:
To be honest.. I dont know what a hot wire type sensor is. The K8 VAF has a plunger that moves when air is sucked past it (or blown past it if you want to get technical). This sounds more like the "Trap Door" type that you mentioned before. But I dont know much about that specific ase terminology.

I think that there is also a air temp sensor built into both the MAF and VAF's of our MX-3's that cause the ECU to enrichen the fuel mixture when air temps drop below a specified value. This prevents our engines from running too lean during cold weather. I also think its one part of what kills our gas mileage during the winter.

Tunes67
now i have never seen one like what you are stating the k8 one is. I always though the k8 was a hot wire style, but I am probably wrong. I will have to look up what this would fall under and get back to you.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”