Cold Air intake??? Cold air vs. Ram air intakes?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Njam22

Cold Air intake??? Cold air vs. Ram air intakes?

Post by Njam22 »

hey,,,i just recently got a 1995 mx-3 DOHC v6 and was looking into getting a cold air intake but have not been able to locate one, only short ram intakes..Do they make cold air intakes for the v6 model??,.

Also are short ram intakes any good? what kind of performance will i get from one, compaired to a cold air intake?

Thanks

Nic
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

You won't get much performance gain out of either. Stock intake is quite good already.
GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine »

Cold air is the best route, you can get an intake off of ebay for an integra and with little modification it will fit. short ram intake will just suck in all the hot air in the engine bay and you can actually lose power that way. and a real ram air intake wont actually show power gains until 130+ mph.
'92 GS-no lip. Klze. no cat. phenolic spacers. no power steering. no a/c. hei mod. poly filled mounts. probinator chip. loud exhaust. b&m shifter. tokico struts. suspension tech springs. axxis 17 in rims.
'86 mr2-stock and still hauls a-- in curves.
'05 Gsxr-50 tooth stunt bike
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Short ram or warm air intakes are bad. Will likely cost you power. Stock system is actually a cold air intake system. Unless you plan to reduce restriction in your exhaust system (make the pipes, catalytic cover & muffler larger diameter and better flowing).. a cold air intake will actually give you little to no benefit..

They do sound cool though. ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Custom 94 MX-3

Post by Custom 94 MX-3 »

Weapon R makes a Cold Air Intake System for MX-3's Its the same type i have in my MX-3 and it gives it the right touch of Horsepower.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

i made my cold air intake out of probe intake piping.... had to use the angle grinder but... hey.... just get it done... that was back when i was all motor though....

and no ....
i dont think there was much of a gain.... save your money for a swap instead....
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I too used the probe gt intake. Only difference you would feel withe the name brand intakes is the hole in your pocket.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”