How do i disconnect my driving lights?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
rusty

How do i disconnect my driving lights?

Post by rusty »

Can someone tell me how to disconnect my driving lights? I still want to be able to turn my regular lights on. Just need to Disconnect my driving lights.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

What do you mean by driving lights? Do you mean daytime running lights?
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

If you wanna disconnect the DRL's you simply unplug the plug going into the daytime running lights relay under the hood on the drivers side above the battery..
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

^^^ Yup yup... It's that finned aluminum box.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
rusty

Post by rusty »

Yes i mean the day time running lights. So is the relay in the fuse box under the hood by the battery, or is it the alumium finned box by the battery i disconnect?
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

There's a harness with I believe a black and red wire that goes to the aluminum finned box, disconnect that one. Do not touch anything in the fusebox.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: How do i disconnect my driving lights?

Post by Ryan »

There is a little spring forced sensor attatched to the e-brake. take off the panel around the e-brake and perma-ground it. does the trick too :)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Ryan wrote:There is a little spring forced sensor attatched to the e-brake. take off the panel around the e-brake and perma-ground it. does the trick too :)
Then your handbrake light will no longer work on the dash, which is annoying. It's much easier to just disconnect the box under the hood as I said. Also, if you have a remote starter in a manual transmission vehicle, disconnecting that handbrake wire will leave you with essetially no remote starter. Unless you rerun the module's handbrake wire to a grounding switch, which is completely retarded.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Okay, so I didn't really think it through... I just use it when I want to sneak around.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

This is the first thread I ever posted in!

Ha.

Sorry for wasting your time, there.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Unless you're installing HIDs, why would you bother?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

Why would you d/c the DRL's? They are usually really good to have on. As most people don't even turn on there parking lights in low visibility. Plus it is illegal if a cop was to ever care.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Hoodzy wrote:Why would you d/c the DRL's? They are usually really good to have on. As most people don't even turn on there parking lights in low visibility. Plus it is illegal if a cop was to ever care.
DRL's aren't as much of a clear-cut safe thing as you may think. Why do you think they're not mandated in some of the top countries in the world?

One negative aspect off the top of my head is if you see a car with DRL's on in low visibility conditions, it will seem as though the car's farther away than it is, because of the reduced brightness compared to regular low beams. Similar issue as seeing a motorcycle headlight makes it seem as though you're seeing a car that's much farther away.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

umcamara wrote:
Hoodzy wrote:Why would you d/c the DRL's? They are usually really good to have on. As most people don't even turn on there parking lights in low visibility. Plus it is illegal if a cop was to ever care.
DRL's aren't as much of a clear-cut safe thing as you may think. Why do you think they're not mandated in some of the top countries in the world?

One negative aspect off the top of my head is if you see a car with DRL's on in low visibility conditions, it will seem as though the car's farther away than it is, because of the reduced brightness compared to regular low beams. Similar issue as seeing a motorcycle headlight makes it seem as though you're seeing a car that's much farther away.

So what if you think the car is further away then you think it is. You can see it. Otherwise you may not if no light was on at all.
What exactly do you consider a 'top' country?

As far as clear cut.
Nearly all published reports indicate DRLs reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes. Evidence about DRL effects on crashes comes from studies conducted in Scandinavia, Canada, and the United States. A study examining the effect of Norway's DRL law from 1980 to 1990 found a 10 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes.1 A Danish study reported a 7 percent reduction in DRL-relevant crashes in the first 15 months after DRL use was required and a 37 percent decline in left-turn crashes.2 In a second study covering 2 years and 9 months of Denmark's law, there was a 6 percent reduction in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes and a 34 percent reduction in left-turn crashes.3 A 1994 Transport Canada study comparing 1990 model year vehicles with DRLs to 1989 vehicles without them found that DRLs reduced relevant daytime multiple-vehicle crashes by 11 percent.4

In the United States, a 1985 Institute study determined that commercial fleet passenger vehicles modified to operate with DRLs were involved in 7 percent fewer daytime multiple-vehicle crashes than similar vehicles without DRLs.5 A small-scale fleet study conducted in the 1960s found an 18 percent lower daytime multiple-vehicle crash rate for DRL-equipped vehicles.6 Multiple-vehicle daytime crashes account for about half of all police-reported crashes in the United States. A 2002 Institute study reported a 3 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crash risk in nine US states concurrent with the introduction of DRLs.7 Federal researchers, using data collected nationwide from 1995-2001, concluded that there was a 5 percent decline in daytime, two-vehicle, opposite-direction crashes and a 12 percent decline in fatal crashes with pedestrians and bicyclists.8
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I see citation marks that Wiki uses...

So they do reduce multiple vehicle daytime crashes... what about other times of day? other types of accidents?

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”