Has anyone made a true ram air system?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Has anyone made a true ram air system?

Post by fowljesse »

The stock one doesn't count.. I mean something that creates significant air pressure. If so, would you post pictures?
Thanks.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

just curious...

what is a ram air intake then??? and how would you make one? complete different to a cold air intake?
2.5L KLZE engine, CF hood, Postert frontbumper, kmax skirts, custom diffusor..

MY RIDE:
http://www.mazdamx-3.nl/members/member_show.php?id=102
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ram intake has nothing to do with forced induction.. its just putting the intake to get real fresh air and thats about it.. it can be done in the cavity undert the headlight, i had it like that. Makes no diff in power.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
somorecords

Post by somorecords »

i almost located mine under the headlight like hgallegos said but i thought it just made for to long of a intake with to many bends so i just made it come strait out and that was it i seriusly doubt that a true ram air could make much more diffrence, either way my new intake made a diffrence from the stock intake, i am a fan of mazda enginneering but the stock intake on the mx3s are entirely to small and twisty imo
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

this what i did for a ram air cai.. note me not haveing a vaf im using a standalone gets rid of a lot of factory BS

my cone filter stick out the front bumper.

sucks when it rains or large puddles of water..

i had to diconnect up top so that i wouldn't suck up any water..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

nice!! thats how i hydrolocked one of my engines tho :( stupid el paso floods.

but wow this amazes me!
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

hgallegos915 wrote:nice!! thats how i hydrolocked one of my engines tho :( stupid el paso floods.

but wow this amazes me!
well i never drove like that when it flooded or rain in san antonio

i just dissconnect it from up top the engine bay.. when it did..

thanks for the comment..

My bro hydrolocked that BP in these pic's when it was boosted.. his excuse it just shut off it was raining that day it happen..

yeah whatever i said..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

"Ram intake has nothing to do with forced induction.. its just putting the intake to get real fresh air and thats about it.. it can be done in the cavity undert the headlight, i had it like that. Makes no diff in power."

Ram air IS forced induction. It uses the forward momentum of the car to force air into the intake. It is significant @ higher speeds, that's why you see the scoops on almost every race car (even boosted ones). I did something like Limegreen's, but sucked water, too. I was hoping someone did a hood, or fender scoop. A short, ram air system would make a noticable difference.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

fowljesse wrote: Ram air IS forced induction. It uses the forward momentum of the car to force air into the intake. It is significant @ higher speeds, that's why you see the scoops on almost every race car (even boosted ones). I did something like Limegreen's, but sucked water, too. I was hoping someone did a hood, or fender scoop. A short, ram air system would make a noticable difference.
I would agree ram air is a very MINIMAL form of forced induction actually more like a side dish of forced induction usually ONLY used on boosted cars. I doubt it would make any kind of noticeable difference on a N/A car - unless it was completely built.

so why didn't you use an AEM water bypass valve???? I would never have run my CAI under the car if I didn't have one of those! too risky! And I drove my car in the rain too with the CAI that way for about a year...
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

I never stuck in any water them again i never drove it like that in the rain.. im not that dumb.
somorecords

Post by somorecords »

i disagree with people saying it makes no diffrence, i installed an increadibly simple CAI, that some might consider a ram air but i dont realy, but regardless it made a noticable diffrence simply from unrestricting the old curvy small stock intake. instead of making a half a dozen 90 degree turns its one fairly strait 3 inch line going to a conic airfilter, i dont know if its any horse power change but it deffinatly feels better, sounds much better (the type of conic i bought has a distinct rumble when you rev up the engine) and just with simple physics seems to me like it would provide a much less restricted air flow
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

somorecords wrote:i disagree with people saying it makes no diffrence, i installed an increadibly simple CAI, that some might consider a ram air but i dont realy, but regardless it made a noticable diffrence simply from unrestricting the old curvy small stock intake. instead of making a half a dozen 90 degree turns its one fairly strait 3 inch line going to a conic airfilter, i dont know if its any horse power change but it deffinatly feels better, sounds much better (the type of conic i bought has a distinct rumble when you rev up the engine) and just with simple physics seems to me like it would provide a much less restricted air flow
The point is that with too free-flowing an intake or exhaust, you lose flow velocity. This effectively shifts your powerband up to a higher rpm level, perhaps a level that your engine will never reach.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “Forced Induction”