rotor warp factor 3

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Icedawg

rotor warp factor 3

Post by Icedawg »

The rotors on my 94 MX3 V6 seem to warp every two years or worse. I can only conclude the Mazda OEM rotors (dealer replaces them for me up till now) are not really up to the braking power the car needs (at least when my family drives the car). Are their alternate choices that are better?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

you can put on some brembo blanks. Do not use drilled rotors, they will brake worse than stock rotors do. Did you have your rotors turned? Before they turn them they should check thickness of the rotors.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Has the dealer actually REPLACED the rotors, or just machined them?

Are you using std pads, cos a set of rotors should last a couple of sets of pads (in my experience anyway)

Unless your driving an auto up 'n down mountains with a couple of fat chicks in the back, you shouldn't really be going through rotors like that
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Are your brakes sticking?
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

History, you want history!
The first time the brakes warped, they were turned by the dealer and warped again in the test drive afterwards. So I got new ones. Two or three years later they were warped again so I got new ones on all four corners, with new pads. Now two years later they are warped again. Pads still look like they have at least 50 % left. Each time they were serviced the dealer made no mention of any sticking.
I conclude the rotors are just not good enough, too small or too thin to disperse the heat. The dealer's service manager told me rotors warp sort of randomly, due to water splashing on them just when you get them the hottest through braking and things like that, the randomness coming from never knowing when that bad splash might happen. If so, that says to me they are too low in mass and do not have the needed heat capacity.

So Brembo, non-drilled, non-slotted is what some of you suggest?

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”