Save my Mx3 RS or buy the GS?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions

Buy the GS? Or fix what i HAVE?

Poll ended at November 25th, 2007, 2:24 pm

Buy the GS, fix it up, have the option of KLZE!! Sell the RS later
88%
Forget the GS, Fix that RS up, hope the engine holds up a few more years.
13%

Total votes: 8

murdamellz

Save my Mx3 RS or buy the GS?

Post by murdamellz »

:D Hello all this is my very first post so I hope that I am posting correctly. I am really stuck and I would like to hear from you experts, your humble opinion, or in your experience what would be a better deal.. Here goes. I have a 1994 Teal Mx-3 RS, 4 cyl. It was smoking a lot before I parked it (headgasket) with the White smoke. It would smoke like that in thick clouds for about 10 minutes and then stop. Its got 174,000 miles on it, and it ran fine when I parked it (wasn't as peppy of course). Besides the battery not holding a charge, I consider it a fine car, with the exception of needing a head gasket. Paint is in great shape, its not a 5 speed as I've never owned a 5 speed but want to learn. My choice is this. A guy is about to sell me a 1992 GS mx-3 with a bunch of new parts,new radiator, oil cooler, new tires, bad water pump, paint is not all that hot, but it ALSO has a blown head gasket, but his overheated shortly so I'm not SURE if there was any internal damage, same as for mine. They both will need timing belts, water pump, spark plugs, gasket sets, etc, but what would YOU do? Would you get the 5 speed GS with 141,xxx for 400 bucks, and invest the money into getting that running? Or would you spend the money getting the automatic RS running thats already paid for, and btw it has 174,xxx? Labor is free on both of these projects, I'll be paying for parts and to get that car towed to my house 8) . Your feedback is GREATLY appreciated. If I made any mistakes or posted incorrectly please forgive me, as it is my very first post. Thanks to you all in advance. Also Please vote on the poll if you don't feel like posting a lengthy reply to my lenghty post :P

Jimmie
murdamellz

Follow up

Post by murdamellz »

sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to point out that my future plans included a KLZE swap for the GS, I didn't plan on getting one this soon or unitl I sold the RS, but the deal sounds like it might be worth hopping on so I don't miss it, while the plans for the RS are less realistic, including a ATX to MTX swap (expensive) a BP swap (headache finding parts car) and also the fact that neither of these are my primary car, and I don't want 2 mx-3s, I just want one mx-3 that I will enjoy for years to come as my secondary car, and a gas and mileage saver on my primary car (2006 hyundai sonata) Thanks guys.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

I guess I'd go with a GS because the ZE swap is cheaper and no added cost of tranny swap. But a BPT MX3 is a really fun car too.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
murdamellz

Post by murdamellz »

only 1 reply?? come on guys help me out!! thanks illa for the suggestion!
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

Its time for a BP swap, Fairly cheap and easy to trurbo later if you want more power.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

I vote ZE you get the GS options plus you can turbo it in the future too. Read into it. Not alot of people have the turbo ZE compared to the BPT but its supposed to be just as good.

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
teribble

Post by teribble »

Get the gs. They are fun and you will enjoy the 5 speed much more. Then after you put a ZE you'll really love it! :lol: If you check out http://www.engineworldusa.com they have good deals on the KLZE's but make sure you ask for the ZE because they don't tell you they have them you have to ask for them!
murdamellz

Thanks a million!

Post by murdamellz »

Guys, Thanks for all the replies so far!! I have been pulling my hair about it and at first I was going to forget the GS because my cousin said "don't get it, its a v6 and it overheated, it's not worth it - get it out of your head." I was just going to fix the 4 cylinder but then I talked to a friend of mine and he said "consider it a savings bond, the guy only wants 300-400 bucks, you talked him down from 900". You know you want the 6 cylinder and you don't have to spend any money on it right away. And thats what I'm going to do I THINK...Get the 4 cylinder fixed so that I can have an A to B car , buy the GS and park it, cover it, and instead of putting a bunch of money into fixing the heads on the GS from it (overheating), save for a while and get a KLZE right off the bat! Although not 100% positive yet, I don't feel I can lose, if I spend the 300-400 and don't start working on the car for a long time, I can always part it out or sell it, everything is good on the car, I would profit or at least not take a huge loss. And when its really time to committ to the KL-ZE project, its BYE BYE Mazda RS! Maybe I'll part it out, its in great condition. I'll keep you guys up to speed and maybe upload some pics of both. Once again, the help is GREATLY appreciated, you have no idea. :D Feel free to keep sharing!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”