for tall people.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
se7en

for tall people.

Post by se7en »

I just wanted to tell everyone here.

I am a tall person, 6'1" and with the seat in my mx-3 all the way back, the shifter is in an annoying spot(too far ahead) so I went and got a shifter and linkage from a probe, and it moves the shifter back about 3-4 inches.

kinda nice, for me anyway, but now I have to figure out what to do with the console(had to cut out a notch in the back of it) also, I had to extend the hole in the floor.

next I think that will have to move the seat brackets back a bit!

kind of a pain getting in and out of this car ;)

just thought I would tell everyone about this mod I did, maybe it will help some other tall people!
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Yah i'm just over 6' 4" and I haven't had a problem with things being to far away or to close...I have long enough arms being this tall that the shifter isn't in a terribly bad place, although I was thinkin about simply making a little jog in the shifter, like an s curve of sorts.

Getting in and out is not as easy as a truck or SUV but it hasn't been a problem...I did find however the the roof was abit lower in an Mx-3 with a sunroof than without, but my head still clears it.

Maybe I just have a short neck. haha.

My buddy just got a RHD rx-7 FD, and man am I glad I didn't import one. I actually can't clutch without my leg hitting the center console (it's raised) or the steering wheel, and I can barely shut the door. It's so sad...
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
se7en

Post by se7en »

ya, I agree, some cars just aren't designed for tall Canadians!!

or Americans if that is where you're from ;)

you way(the curve in the shifter) would have been easier I think, but I had the probe stuff handy, because that is what I got the mtx swap stuff from.

btw, the probe cross member isn't the same as the mx-3 ones!
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
My Feedback
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Dude, these cars were made for short mexicans like me, or women lol
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

haha...yeah, no problems for me, being all of 5' 10" :D But the few times my dad had to drive the mx while I was away at college, thats another story..him being 6'2" ~250lbs.

Have you just left the center console plastic out of the car then? This also does not get in the way of the ebrake? Maybe pics for those tall people :)
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I'm tall but not that tall..lol My shifter is fine where it is. and i'm not hacking out my floor.lol
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I just lean the seat back :)
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I am 6'3 and my shifter was abit far for me, so when I got my new shift knob I cut the shifter in half and rewelded a new peice on top that points further back so 3rd is just slightly above where the average shifter is in neutral.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

First 6'1" is not tall at all. I'm 6'1" and one of the shortest people out of all my friends and at my basketball leagues and tournaments. Second I dont know but I never have any problems with reaching the shifter or getting in and out of my car. Maybe after 6 years and 4 MX-3s I've just got used to it... :?
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Illa Killa wrote:First 6'1" is not tall at all. I'm 6'1" and one of the shortest people out of all my friends and at my basketball leagues and tournaments. Second I dont know but I never have any problems with reaching the shifter or getting in and out of my car. Maybe after 6 years and 4 MX-3s I've just got used to it... :?
x2 I have never had any issues... I actually don't have my seat all the way back either...

am I just driving sitting the wrong way or something??? :oops:
se7en

Post by se7en »

I will try to get some pics in the next few days, and no, I put the center console back, I just notched it.

I have really big feet, so it is hard to get out of the car because I have nowhere to put my feet with the three pedals in the way. It compounds the problem when I am wearing my work boots! ;)

My Feedback
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

1967 Chevy II 550HP with Nitrous
Just noticed this in your sig.. nice ride.. is that the coupe or SS model? Or did you even have those available in canuckland? Someday I want to build a 1967 Nova SS 327 4spd car. Impossible to find down here and way expensive.. but A guy can dream.. ;)

As for the leg room issue.. I have a big arse and as a result.. not a lot of leg room. So before I had my seats redone.. I removed the rails from the bottom of the seat frame and redrilled the frame & rails to bolt the seat frame further back on the rails. This doesnt seem like a lot of room on the bottom of the seat.. 1-1.5 inches on the bottom of the seat.. but gives you 3-4 extra inches at the pedals. Makes the shifter a little more difficult to reach.. but worth it IMO. Its not a difficult mod to do.. but you will have to supply some of your own fasteners to hold it all together in 2 places (if you do it like I did) cause the stock locations have welded nuts that you cant reuse. So instead of just bolts holding it together.. you will need nuts n bolts ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
se7en

Post by se7en »

coupe(hard top car) (my nova)

also, that is what I should do tunes.

btw, 1967 novas don't corner for sh!t, but they hook with a spool and et streets!

I got into this import stuff so I could do some canyon carvin.

My Feedback
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Heh.. almost nothing from 1967 really handled that well LOL But I have heard you can update the suspensions on the 67 Novas with a airbag suspension and custom A arms up front that dramatically reduce the amount of body roll when going through corners. Saw it on Horsepower TV a while back. Doubt it would ever come close to keeping up with a MX-3 or a RX-7 through a slalom course though ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
K8Boosted

Post by K8Boosted »

im a 6' 1 17 year old and yes i had horrible time with the seat position stock... i spent a insane amount time making complelty custom race seat brackets.. if ur under 5' 8 u can hardly reach the peddles... ( i went a little over board) now the back of the front seat acutally touch the back seats.... MY friends give me s--- cuz i have longer hair and when im driving my hair sticks out of the sunroof...

Correcting the seat postion did it for me
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2433610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mx-3 Kl Turbo (Weekend/show car)
95 talon tsi awd (Daily Driver For Sale 6,000 or Trade for a Mx
1989 Cbr600 (StreetFighter/Stunt Bike)
1967 Winnebago Motor Home (Pimped out Party Bus a friend and I went in halfs on)
1972 gremlin X Turbo Diesel :) , 1999 VR4 Fathers Cars that i end up working on and drving alot

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”