KLZE Valve change (spring and retainers) Help.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
teribble

KLZE Valve change (spring and retainers) Help.

Post by teribble »

Today i got my KLZE stright neck and started pulling all the junk off it and just getting it ready to go in. I looked on here for a write up on swaping the valve spring and retainers but didn't find anything.

Do i need to change the keepers too?

Are the exhaust and intake spring the same?

I went to the junk yard and took the spring and retainer for a 93 probe 2.5 KL i didn't take the keepers and i know i wouldn't be able to find them. i also didn't keep track of the spring and retainers i just put them all in the same bag. I hope they are interchangeable
Also do i need to change the exhaust retainers?
I read that they are already the the klo3 ones.
Last edited by teribble on November 11th, 2007, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I am not sure what your goal is exactly, but you do not need to change valves to swap a intake manifold.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

he is is looking to change the valve train to de so he has less chance of dropping a valve.

You will need DE valve springs and retainers. Keepers are the same. and you only need to worry about the intake side.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Don't mean to jack your thread, but it's kinda related. I've never really seen this issue come up, but I've been wondering. As far as I can tell, the reason the KLZE has the weaker valve springs and retainers on the intake side is because it puts less of a load on the engine, equating to more horsepower. Now I wonder how much swapping those parts back to the KL-DE parts reduces that new found power.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

umcamara wrote:Don't mean to jack your thread, but it's kinda related. I've never really seen this issue come up, but I've been wondering. As far as I can tell, the reason the KLZE has the weaker valve springs and retainers on the intake side is because it puts less of a load on the engine, equating to more horsepower. Now I wonder how much swapping those parts back to the KL-DE parts reduces that new found power.
Cant make much of a difference because a ZE does have better flowing heads and intake. Also, higher comp pistons

Hey, to who ever is changing the valve train. Can you make a guide with pictures?

Email the pictures to juansmx3@yahoo.com
Ill post them up for you
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Juans_93_MX3

Re: KLZE Valve change (spring and retainers) Help.

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

teribble wrote:Today i got my KLZE stright neck and started pulling all the junk off it and just getting it ready to go in. I looked on here for a write up on the swap but didn't find anything.

Do i need to change the keepers too?

Are the exhaust and intake spring the same?

I went to the junk yard and took the spring and retainer for a 93 probe 2.5 KL i didn't take the keepers and i know i wouldn't be able to find them. i also didn't keep track of the spring and retainers i just put them all in the same bag. I hope they are interchangeable
Also do i need to change the exhaust retainers?
I read that they are already the the klo3 ones.
On the KLDE the Intake/Exhaust are the same. KLZE, the intake valves/retainers are the different and are also the weak link. The exhaust retainers/valves on a KLZE are the same as the KLDE.

I dont know about your other question though. I guess you might aswell change the keepers?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
teribble

Post by teribble »

PATDIESEL wrote:I am not sure what your goal is exactly, but you do not need to change valves to swap a intake manifold.
If you would of read the subject is says valve change (spring and retainers) help
Thanks
teribble

Post by teribble »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:
umcamara wrote:Don't mean to jack your thread, but it's kinda related. I've never really seen this issue come up, but I've been wondering. As far as I can tell, the reason the KLZE has the weaker valve springs and retainers on the intake side is because it puts less of a load on the engine, equating to more horsepower. Now I wonder how much swapping those parts back to the KL-DE parts reduces that new found power.
Cant make much of a difference because a ZE does have better flowing heads and intake. Also, higher comp pistons

Hey, to who ever is changing the valve train. Can you make a guide with pictures?

Email the pictures to juansmx3@yahoo.com
Ill post them up for you
I'll take some pictures and e-mail them to you. I'll try my best with a step by step directions.
mx3autozam

Re: KLZE Valve change (spring and retainers) Help.

Post by mx3autozam »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:On the KLDE the Intake/Exhaust are the same.
Not the same at all.The springs and retainers for the exhaust are smaller than the intake.

I believe the reatiners on the ze a tad thinner. also the spring pressure is about 10psi weaker. the de the spring pressure would be a bit more and the retainer itself is thicker = stronger. Look in the V6 FAQ there is a post from babyBlueMX3 with pics of them both.

As for the ZE having softer springs to make more horsepower. That is very minimal. Yes your right technically with a strong er spring the camshaft has to do more work to open the valve. But in most cases your upgrading the valvetrain to be able to amke the engine work well with a different set of cams. which those cams right away will change your powerband and give you the gain you want. putting the kl01 retainers in a kl31 cammed ZE I don't think will make a difference in that, if it is I bet its hardly noticeable. But in the end its well worth it because there is less chance of dropping a valve.

On the other hand the ZE valvetrain is technically great because they are fine unless you absolutly beat the hell out of it like constantly reving it without a load or taking it to 8k rpm's alot. The engine is perfectly fine to about 7500rpm's. But you should still take the precautions and swap in DE retainers/springs. I have had a ZE drop a valve on the intake side. I am currently running DE springs with Ferrea Titanium retainers. I am probably going to upgarde ti Interprep springs soon. Mostly because yes there stronger than DE and there priced awesome, and I might run Colt cams soon depending on my money situation so I wanna be 100% prepared.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

lol!
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
teribble

Post by teribble »

mx3autozam wrote:You guys are probably to lazy to look, so here you go.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26672

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60369
Sorry boss i didn't think to look in the faqs. I did a search and didn't find anything before i posted it.
teribble

Post by teribble »

I just wanted to post an update. I pulled my cams out and was gettting ready to take the retainers out when i noticed i didn't get the right retainers from the junkyard! (dumb As*) The ones i got had come from a 93 probe and the intake and the exhaust were the same size. So they were to small for my intake. So now i need to find out what car will have the right retainers.

What cars came with the KL03/ KLDE motors?

I didn't research it before i went. It was a last sec thing.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

teribble wrote:I just wanted to post an update. I pulled my cams out and was gettting ready to take the retainers out when i noticed i didn't get the right retainers from the junkyard! (dumb As*) The ones i got had come from a 93 probe and the intake and the exhaust were the same size. So they were to small for my intake. So now i need to find out what car will have the right retainers.

What cars came with the KL03/ KLDE motors?

I didn't research it before i went. It was a last sec thing.
93-97 Mazda MX-6 LS
93-97 Ford Probe GT
93-97 Mazda 626
The 98-2002 626 uses an engine called KLG4 its pretty mucha DE with solid lifters, differnet manifold and a few things so I am not sure if the retainers are the same or not.

93-2002 Mazda Millenia non S. Just watch some have square port kl31 heads so you don't wanna take retainers from that.
teribble

Post by teribble »

I guess i got the right ones. I didn't know that the de retainers and spring are smaller then the ZE one's. I don't think anyone had pointed that out in any posts.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”