going to the drag strip tonight yayaya

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

going to the drag strip tonight yayaya

Post by Mooneggs »

I am really excited! I haven't been in over 2 years and I can't wait to see what my klze can do now!!!! Don't forget I have KL01 cams and a 626 tranny so in theory I will not run as fast as those kl31/mx-3 tranny guys....

Last time I went I had this:

KLZE with 10w 30 mobil one full syn with 40k or so miles on it
stock exhaust
Fidanza flywheel
Clutchmasters Stage 2 type R clutch
PRM CAI
Mazdaspeed motor mounts
Optima Battery
A/C parts installed
B&M shifter
17in. TSW Razor rims
Full interior

I ran a 14.7@ 94mph

Now I have this:

KLZE with 5w 30 Amsoil full syn with 100k or so miles on it
SS autochrome headers and full 2 1/2" custom exhaust to a megan racing cannon (5" tip)
fidanza flywheel
Exedy OEM clutch
Big Bore TB 69mm
Custom CAI
AWR front and rear motor mounts (mazdaspeed side mounts)
SRD control arm, engine member, shift linkage bushings
Pacesetter adjustable short shifter with 80% reduced throw
HEI mod
Generic Battery (Titanium) from Advance Auto Parts
No A/C parts on car (smaller belt for alternator)
Millenia Alternator
14" lightweight American Racing 5 spokes
Half interior... just the driver's seat carpet and dash, panels and some rear plastic pieces - no pass. seat or rear seat, spare tire, jack etc.

HAHAHA after reading that list I won't be surprised if I have a SLOWER time... oh well we'll see what happens. OH one other note - when I went last time I hadn't driven a stick for very long... I can drive much better now :D :driver:
Last edited by Mooneggs on November 9th, 2007, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volones

Post by Volones »

You'll do much better this time, you took out your A/C!

Seriously, have fun and let us know how you did.
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
bdr2k5

Post by bdr2k5 »

dang, you put 60k miles in 2 years in your klze? :oops:

lets us know how it go, what offset are your tires on those 14"?
93 mx-3 w/ Curved Neck klze
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

WELLLLLLL......... at least my trap speeds are higher LOL :oops:

So here's the story... I get to the track at 6:30pm... I did not realize that the crew from the SPEED channel would be filming their "Past Time's" season... so I'm getting pissed off that I am just sitting in line. Apparently unless you called ahead you did not get a good spot in line or something since they were filming episodes...

So around 7:30 the line finally starts moving :? I get up to the front and mind you all I wanted to do was just make a few passes and be done with it but NOOOOOOO the little producer guy comes up to my window and looks at me then looks at my car and says "ok I guess you can be our next sleeper car" and I'm like ummmmmmm ok... so he starts telling me what I need to do and he motions for me to move up around like 10 other cars waiting LOL... so around 8:20pm (finally) I get up to right before the burnout pad and he starts telling me what they want me to do... move up stop the car and get out and talk to the host of the show, so I get up there and talk to the guy "brett" and we do a mini interview!!! :shock: There are 3 contestants that ask me a question about my car. The basis of the show is that they have to guess what my time will be based on the little interview and how the car looks... so anyways by this point i am like SUPER NERVOUS cause of the cameras and all and mind you I haven't been to the track in like a year and a half so I kind of rolled past the start line and had to back up a little LOL (embarrassing) so I get all ready and I am like really freaking out at this point so the tree lights go and I launch .... and FAIL LOL I launched to high and was bouncing around spinning augh so after like a second I pop it into second and take off... anyways I ran a 17.24 at 93.78 :shock: :oops:

So I get to the end of the track and get my slip and they tell me I need to pull over so they can get some video of my car and I'm like "great... arrrrgh" my car is freakin filthy and I get out and the guy is getting closeups of all my carbon fiber stuff then he take some shots of me in front of my car... I'm like pissed off cause I would've at least washed the thing... oh well... either way I am going to contact the SPEED channel and see if I can at least get the footage! I felt bad to let down the MX-3 community by representing poorly.... :oops: :(

BUT by the time I got back in line and got back up to the line at 10:23pm they were done filming and then I ran a 14.99 @ 95.09 and I was like WHY couldn't have that been my first run ARRRRRRRRGH

I ran again at 10:49pm - 15.27 @ 93.64 cause I missed a shift into third :?

and I made the last run at 10:55pm - 14.95 @ 95.07

I basically had NO launch whatsoever running those little street tires there's no point just bouncing around wasting time...

All in all I had a great time and I will be stoked if I actually make it onto the speed channel even if I did run a 17.24......

On the slips I am car 334 or 339 cause they couldn't read the number LOL

My GF took videos of all my runs and some pics so I will be posting those later today hopefully :D
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

More guts than me.. if I had seen TV crews.. I would have bailed LOL Unless my car was finished of course ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Infinity

Post by Infinity »

is it just me or do those times sound really slow for that car?
mooneggz

Post by mooneggz »

So I see you decided to post the story that actually happened. I thought I was going to have to get on here and tell everyone what really happened. All kidding aside he did man up and race while they were filming and most of the people thought he would run low 14s to high 13s. The track was not hooking at all since it was cold and they were taking there time running cars so the track never warmed up. I am just glad I was not sitting next to a microphone cause all anyone would hear was me ROTFLMAO when he took off.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

[quote="mooneggz"][/quote]

IMPOSTOR
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Infinity wrote:is it just me or do those times sound really slow for that car?
don't forget I had horrible tires and don't forget about my kl01 cams and 626 tranny slowing me down...

just look at the trap times and pretend I had a good launch - I was running 14.4 dude!!!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

626 tranny slowing me down...
Just say the word and I will happily swap 5th gear assemblies with you man ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

get yourself some 15 inch rims :D 17s hurt alot.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
bdr2k5

Post by bdr2k5 »

lol you got owned against 304 O.o

oh well, hey man you could do so much better with better tires, your 60ft were 2.3+

get some 2.0- and youll be doing mid to low 14s,

yeah i woulda bailed too :oops:
93 mx-3 w/ Curved Neck klze
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

hgallegos915 wrote:get yourself some 15 inch rims :D 17s hurt alot.
he actually ran 14's but anyways I would still say run 15's The 14's I think are a little to small and would cause too much wheel spin, Only situation i would use a 14" wheel is with slicks.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

yeah I know that now... I am having technical difficulties getting the vids up from the track.... lol

they are not even that great anyways but since I have them... why not post them right?
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Well, I believe he was using 14" wheels...

And the 626 tranny wont slow you down.. its the 5th gear thats different :), and hopefully you dont ever get to 5th...

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”