got a tick

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nycstreetsoldier

got a tick

Post by nycstreetsoldier »

ok my car has a tick sound, not realy a nock can annyone tell me if thats somthing normal , the car is a little low on oil and the oil is black, i just got the car and im fixing it back up , o and by the way its the 1.8 v6...thanx for any help...
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

fist off I would give it a tune up, oil change, oil filter, plugs N wires, flush the rad, maybe change the air filter...

give somemore info on the problem aslo.. how many k's or m's on the car... when does it tick.. on startup or when its warmed up.. does it get louder when you give it some rpms.. does it go away once you drive around.

more info please.
nycstreetsoldier

well so far it happons when i start it, dont know if it stays when wormed up , herd it and was scared to keep it running...i was kinda thinking it just needed a tune up and all that to, just needed some info i didnt whana do all that work and have it be no good....ill post more info tonight , im going to work on it today...
nycstreetsoldier

what do you mean k's or m's?
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

nycstreetsoldier wrote:what do you mean k's or m's?
Kilometers or miles...

could be a sticky lifter if it is just ticking when the car first turns on.. befor it worms up.. every spring my car sounds like crap when I first start it up.. I would deffently change the oil and filter right away... it will help alot... was the car sitting for a while??
nycstreetsoldier

it was sitting for like a month....and i changed all that today, helped a lot but its still thare....
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

what oil are your using? 10-30?

Try using a thinner grade oil, should help out with the tapping.

Try doing a search on HLA tapping.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

My car will insanely tick if i have had it sitting ina week and not started it. You gotta wait for the oil to rise. If it does it all the time, can be a bad timing belt pulley, or that thing went out.. lol whats it called? i forgot.. but its in the heads lol
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
jason5151

Post by jason5151 »

just a thought here ,try to change oil firstly because black is not good..
secondly your oil is low,if car has not been on the road in awhile the top end of engine would initially be starved of oil ,and if it black that means most of the oils lubricating qualities are degraded...
so my feeling here is that this car has been neglected and if it has high mileage changing to a 5w30 oil would only net your car a louder tick because as engines wear the tolerances increase so a thicker oil such as 10w 30 would help cushion the wear on the valvetrain.
the mx-3 tends to tick on start up until car is warm!
hope this helps your problem!
1996 mx-3 black 1.8 v6
nycstreetsoldier

thanx

everything seames to be working out i changed the oil and all that and she made it from fl to nyc and back so shes doing good , going to change the oil agin soon...just to help it out a little
jason5151

Post by jason5151 »

good to hear the mx is running good.
:) just have to say this for the fun of it,and i dont mean any offence but "soldier boy tellum"!
Ride on,peace!
1996 mx-3 black 1.8 v6
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

my car always does that thick sound when it starts up ... it goes away as soon i drive off my house ... dont worry about that :wink:
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

OutlaW wrote: my car always does that thick sound when it starts up ... it goes away as soon i drive off my house ... dont worry about that :wink:
X2 My car also does that every morning. It only lasts for a cupple seconds but on a cold day it takes longer.

I use the lucus heavy duty oil stablerlizer. I swear by it, with it in the engine you can feel how it aids on cold starts and my car being a high klm car roughly 200,000klm it burns oil highway driving. I used to burn about half a litre just driving about 40klm on the highway but now that i use the lucas im only burning half a litre every 120klm highway driving.

On the cold mornings the lucas really helps, with just regular oil it drips off the cylinders and when starting the engine cold it turns over slowly but with the lucas on cold morning the engine turns over reletively quick and the ticking doesnt last long at all.

Its about $15 and you get around id say 1 litre of it but i only use about 1/4 of the bottle every oil change and its good. I dont add alot because its going to raise the viscosity of the oil and its going to be hard for the engine to pump the oil but just enough is great for it.

oh and for a side note, try the lucas tranny fix. Even if your seals arnt leaking its still good for it.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”