Transmission or clutch problem plz help

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
The General

Transmission or clutch problem plz help

Post by The General »

Ok so I was driving the 92 RS mx3 around today and then it s--- the bed. I accelerated from a stop and it wouldnt go in second. Pulled over and then shut off and turned it back on and I could go again but then I couldnt change gears like a little bit after that, stopped and a gas station and thats when it got really wierd. I would put my foot on the clutch a little and it would be kicking back at me, and holding it all the way down would create a whinning sound, so my friend and I kept trying to get it in gear, it wouldnt move. Then it just turned to s--- and putting the clutch in would make the motor die and then we kept trying to figure out what was wrong and it started smoking, so we left it there. So I dont know which it is the clutch or the tranny, can anyone help
se7en

Post by se7en »

holy sh!t dude, that doesn't sound good.....

probably just a clutch though, because you said that the pedal was acting wierd.

and the tranny and the clutch are two different systems on the car.

could be a throw out bearing, or pressure plate, or pilot bearing, or whatever, but I should think that is not the tranny.

Have fun, but at least those clutches are pretty easy to change.

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
o4_boyracer_no1_o5

clutch

Post by o4_boyracer_no1_o5 »

the whinning sound....if its coming from your box will most likely be your pressure release bearing which you get with a clutch kit although if your sayin its kicking the clutch bk up again i would go for pressure plate itself so just get the clutc h kit and it will have the clutch plate, pressure plate an pressure release bearing ;)
sk8erdude802

Re: Transmission or clutch problem plz help

Post by sk8erdude802 »

[quote="The General"]Then it just turned to s--- and putting the clutch in would make the motor die /quote]

had an issue like this when the throw out bearing in my clutch died. Sounds like you have more than just a bad bearing though.

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

Sounds like throw our bearing is bad.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The General

Re: Transmission or clutch problem plz help

Post by The General »

You guys were right, I blew up my throwout bearing, which dented my pressure plate, and blew 2/3 of one side of my clutch clear off, look I got a pic of what happened, none of the clutch though :(

Return to “Transmissions”