starting winter kl turbo build got a few questions

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
K8Boosted

starting winter kl turbo build got a few questions

Post by K8Boosted »

( i have some experiance from my k8 turbo i ran over the summer but that was just for some learning experiance i invested about grand in the setup ran a 13.9 on 16 psi untuned. NOW THE GOAL IS A RELIABLE 13 SECOND STREET CAR

So heres the winter setup

KLDE
Forged Pistons
Performance Rings
Performance Wrist Pins
TOGA HP Main Bearings
TOGA HP Rod Bearings
NO RODS I DONT HAVE THE MONEY :( Cant see spending 2 grand

Turbo
Turbonetics t04b

i guess u could say my goal is 300whp

heres my thought MEGASQUIRT SCARES ME.. im a highschool kid that isnt even the best with computers and have almost no experience with engine managment

some of my friends are using the apexi neo on their hondas
it allows a 16 point fuel correction pretty much self explanatory

i plan on running a walbro 255 fuel pump, millenia 280cc injectors and maybe a fmu i have sitting around
i would use the apexi neo to adjust fuel delivary and check my air/fuel ratios with a aem uego wideband kit and play around with it till i get it just right... would this be sufficient and safe to run this kl at lets just say above 10 psi

thanks for ur time zac
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2433610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mx-3 Kl Turbo (Weekend/show car)
95 talon tsi awd (Daily Driver For Sale 6,000 or Trade for a Mx
1989 Cbr600 (StreetFighter/Stunt Bike)
1967 Winnebago Motor Home (Pimped out Party Bus a friend and I went in halfs on)
1972 gremlin X Turbo Diesel :) , 1999 VR4 Fathers Cars that i end up working on and drving alot
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

no standalone thats not good..

say goodbye to ur

KLDE
Forged Pistons
Performance Rings
Performance Wrist Pins
TOGA HP Main Bearings
TOGA HP Rod Bearings
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

you must have standalone! and the safc are no bueno with the k series motors
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

I would atleast get some Millenia S rods , 16lbs is a lot of boost on stock rods
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

I would atleast get some Millenia S rods , 16lbs is a lot of boost on stock rods
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

fmu arent very reliable.. its scary to see on the wideband when it leans out as soon as you decrease speed or change gears.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

If you are gunna be using the UEGO by AEM you might want to check out the AEM F/IC... This is what I will be using on my DOHC project. It's a highly advanced piggyback. I know the hardcore guys around here frown on the piggys.. but check it out. Has more features than the neo.. 21x17 maps, and easy hook up for your wideband. From AEM it's 460~ usd. Ebay... 380.00.
K8Boosted

Post by K8Boosted »

i understand hands down stand alone management is the best choice.....
but i do not have the money or know how to mess with it.. im a high school kids that works part time as a lifeguard

i will prolly invest in millenia s rods,, i dont know where u someone thought id be running 16psi.. (that what i did on my k8 just for fun it lasted a 2 months but dam did i have fun. 13.9 out of a stock turbo k8 with 220cc injectors, fuel pump, and a cheap ebay turbo coundlt ask for more)

i looked into the aem stuff and yes definatly better than the apexi.. i prolly end up with that.

and yes i do not like fmu's at all i have one and didnt even bother with it on k8.. i thought i would just mention it cuz i prolly hook it up and try it in the future at least
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2433610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1967 Winnebago Motor Home (Pimped out Party Bus a friend and I went in halfs on)
1972 gremlin X Turbo Diesel :) , 1999 VR4 Fathers Cars that i end up working on and drving alot
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

hgallegos915 wrote:fmu arent very reliable.. its scary to see on the wideband when it leans out as soon as you decrease speed or change gears.
its suppose to go leaner when u let off the throttle. Usuualy a fuel cut when u decelerate(let off throttle with no brake applied), saves gas and helps to break the car.

BUT you are corrrect , fmu's are the poop.

Also like mazdamaniac said...SOME kinda rods are gonna benefit you. Stand alone is a must.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Until you can afford to get rods don't waste your money on the other parts. The puzzle is not complete without rods. Those are a key part of a motor built for boost. Just throw in a DE or ZE and boost it. Both can handle your goal of 300whp pretty reliably with a good tune. Spend the money you saved by putting in a stock DE to buy a megasquirt and run standalone. The key to boosting this motors is a good tune. Otherwise they'll go boom no matter what you have in them.

I ran 300whp on my ze reliably and can name three other DE/ZEs boosted on stock internals running a reliable 300whp. (Roughly 10psi on a ze and 12psi on a DE) 300whp us about peak for the millenia 280 injectors, but they can do it.

For reference this what a stock rod does under higher boost levels.

This is what the rods in my built motor look like compared to stock.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

there is MS-II and there is tons of info on how to install and tune for ur K8.

its a cheap standalone but it does work.. than i can say being around stuf like that..

its a cheaper alterive compared to a tecII or haltec or mirco tec, or TEC III or TEC GT

at tabout 1/4 of the prices i mention above..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
K8Boosted

Post by K8Boosted »

alright well i brought my father into this whole situation on managment..
he a electrical engineer who biulds and programs controllers for industrial machines so lets just say he definatly understands whats going on.
ive started reading through the megasquirt websites.. browsed around on probetalk...

as of now the plan mostly likly is run a remachined kl03with millenia s rods and megasquirt 1 on a v3 board...

i just cant wait to spend countless hours researching :(
K8Boosted

Post by K8Boosted »

alright well i brought my father into this whole situation on managment..
he a electrical engineer who biulds and programs controllers for industrial machines so lets just say he definatly understands whats going on.
ive started reading through the megasquirt websites.. browsed around on probetalk...

as of now the plan mostly likly is run a remachined kl03with millenia s rods and megasquirt 1 on a v3 board...

i just cant wait to spend countless hours researching :(

Return to “Forced Induction”