interior heater isnt getting hot

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
turbulence23

interior heater isnt getting hot

Post by turbulence23 »

got a problem but can''t find a good answer..

its getting a little bit colder now so last week i turned on the car heating... after driving for a while the air flowing out doesnt feel warm, its getting a little bit warm but not as warm as it supposed to be..

thought of air in the coolant but temperature reeding looks fine, there isnt any air in the system that i checked..
could the heating unit be broken? and so what could be broken? do i need a new heater unit??? or are there other things to check first

checked the manual, looks like hot coolant flows through the heater unit and this heats up the air or is there another system working that might be broken??

really need to know, also have sometimes foggy windows so good heating is critical then or else i don't see nothing

PS: do i really need do dismantle the dash to get to the heaterunit?
2.5L KLZE engine, CF hood, Postert frontbumper, kmax skirts, custom diffusor..

MY RIDE:
http://www.mazdamx-3.nl/members/member_show.php?id=102
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

There are many possible faults - few are

- You might have a faulty engine thermostat that is stuck open
- Blockage in the heater core
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Check coolant level also, on mine i had a leaky radiator and it would be low on coolant and it wouldn't flow right until i revved it up.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Smith18 wrote:Check coolant level also, on mine i had a leaky radiator and it would be low on coolant and it wouldn't flow right until i revved it up.
Happened to me before I swapped the motor, the seal on the waterpump went bad and then the heater would not work right, check coolant levels first.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

My thermostat was stuck open and it wouldn't heat.

replaced the thermo and it burns wonderfully. I'd check that first if I were you.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

replaced the thermo and it burns wonderfully. I'd check that first if I were you.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Diddo. Definitely a worthwhile check if your coolant level is good. One thing i did notice, mind you it was in the winter, is that the engine temperature took alot longer to get to normal than it used to as well, but even when i got there, it still didn't blast out nice hot air.

Most will fail open, there are even thermostates that are called "fail-safe" in which they are designed to go open when they fail.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

thanx for the replys...

so checking up the thermostat is a must... coolant level is good, just checked i a little time back, no air in the system no leakage..

also think the heatercore might be failing as i have a lot of problems with condensation on the inside of the windscreen....

might be leaking or something, or could anything else cause the interieur window to fog up that much??

MY RIDE:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The fogging up is a common problem it seems, I know my mx-3 did it in the winter and so did the 626. What solved the problem for me is to set air to "Fresh" rather than "Recirculate", once I did thatI never had a problem with fogging in the Mx-3 since...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

One other thing that hasnt been mentioned yet is the waterpump itself. If the water pump impeller has corroded away to nothing.. it could also prevent coolant/water from circulating to the heater core properly. Though I have seen one on a 4 cyl engine that still kept circulating the coolant even after the impeller was long toast.

You dont have to remove the heater core to check it for blockages. Simply disconnect both heater core hoses from the engine.. connect a garden hose to one heater core hose and another hose leading to a bucket (or other wise out of the engine bay) Then turn on the water.. do this slowly and gradually.. then just see if water flows through the heater core. If not.. its blocked and needs to be replaced.

If water does flow through the heater core then look at the possibility of a stuck open thermostat or waterpump failure.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

okay, wil check the heatercore soon then...

but that means i have to drain the coolant system, also a good time then to check the thermostat.

waterpump couldnt be the issue, just swapped in the ZE last spring and ofcourse then replaced the waterpump. just driven 4000km with it or so, so i hope the waterpump lasts a little bit longer..

will check if its recirculating or taking in fresh air, whats the big difference then?

when on fresh air its sucking in fres air from under the wipercover, and on circulation its sucking air from where?

MY RIDE:
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

waterpump couldnt be the issue, just swapped in the ZE last spring and ofcourse then replaced the waterpump. just driven 4000km with it or so, so i hope the waterpump lasts a little bit longer..
I'll admit that its unlikely to be your issue. However.. just because its been replaced DOESNT mean its functioning the way it should be. For that matter check and make sure your belts are tight and spinning your waterpump pulley as they should be.

Dont bury your head in the sand and ignore a potential problem just because you believe its already been addressed. That was then and this is now.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

Tunes67 wrote:
I'll admit that its unlikely to be your issue. However.. just because its been replaced DOESNT mean its functioning the way it should be. For that matter check and make sure your belts are tight and spinning your waterpump pulley as they should be.

Dont bury your head in the sand and ignore a potential problem just because you believe its already been addressed. That was then and this is now.

Tunes67
point taken :wink:

will ofcourse check it when all the coolant is out, isnt a big issue then, but i am alsmost confident that its working.. engine is getting at a normal temperature, not overheating etc...

but will look into it, you will never know

MY RIDE:
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

turbulence23 wrote: when on fresh air its sucking in fres air from under the wipercover, and on circulation its sucking air from where?
Its sucking from inside the car, that is why it is called recirc. and that is why it fogs are you are recirculating the moist air.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”