darn axel bolts!!!!!

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
se7en

darn axel bolts!!!!!

Post by se7en »

well, I got all the parts to do the atx to mtx swap.

I have all the interior stuff done(pedals, shifter ,etc)

now when I went to do the actual tranny part, I can't get the dam axel bolts loose.

I tried everything, from a 6 foot snipe(broke two 1/2" drive ratchets)
and also my wimpy impact. and I can't get the dam nuts loose.

what could I try next? and how much torque is on those nuts anyways?

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

a lot.

Good luck.

Find a friend with a more powerful impact gun and they will come off.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
se7en

Post by se7en »

okay, I will do ;) it seems that after reading mor ein this forum that everyone has this problem :)7
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
My Feedback
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

one of my mx3's was so bad i had to cut both nuts off with the dremel, mind you replacement ones can be picked up for 1.50 at a parts store. just make sure you dont cut into the threads on the axel.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Dali wrote:one of my mx3's was so bad i had to cut both nuts off with the dremel, mind you replacement ones can be picked up for 1.50 at a parts store. just make sure you dont cut into the threads on the axel.
:shock: I'm glad mine weren't this bad! I usually use a 3/4" breaker bar and use a 5 foot steel pipe for leverage :D usually breaks the nut pretty quick!
se7en

Post by se7en »

okay, I got them off, I borrowed the BIG impact from my work.

yay me, I am almost done then I hope ;)
My Feedback
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Mooneggs wrote:
Dali wrote:one of my mx3's was so bad i had to cut both nuts off with the dremel, mind you replacement ones can be picked up for 1.50 at a parts store. just make sure you dont cut into the threads on the axel.
:shock: I'm glad mine weren't this bad! I usually use a 3/4" breaker bar and use a 5 foot steel pipe for leverage :D usually breaks the nut pretty quick!
lol, same here, and even bent the 3/4" breaker bar before they finally came loose. Must have applied at least ~300 ft/lbs of torque to get those hairy nuts off after they'd been untouched a dozen years...
Image -Jim
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Wow.. I am thinking I got REAL lucky with the Axle nuts on my GS. I just used a 1/2 inch craftsman breaker bar and pushed down on it.. the broke free no prob. Drivers side was mildly more difficult than the passenger side.. I had to actually step on the breaker bad and force it down that way.. but still broke free.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

i was hammering on mine with my 1/2 impackt gun for a while. i had it goin at about 80 psi and it wasnt goin anywhere so i cranked it up to about 110 psi and she came off after a bit. I think i was really lucky when changing my axels cuz i didnt run into any problems. Both axels came out the tranny fine without much force, my only problem was trying to remove the upper ball joints in order to get the hub to swing out of the way but i was able to move the hubs just enough so that i could slide the axels out.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

yah i had a 4' pipe i was jumping on trying to break them free but they would not let go, my buddy was lifting the car trying to break them free as well, we gave up and out came the dremel :)
Raven95150

Post by Raven95150 »

I just got done doing my MTX swap. The axle nuts on my car came off nice and easy, but the car at the junkyard was a different story. I had to take the whole hub. My POS impact wouldnt move them either, even after soaking them with PB Blaster for a couple days. I ended up taking them to work and using our mechanic's impact and that didn't even move them until I heated them up with a torch.
se7en

Post by se7en »

geez!

now I am stuck with a new problem.

the drivers side axle won't come out.

I have tried everything, from prybars to you name it.

oh well, maybe I can get the tranny out with it still attached to the tranny.

My Feedback
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

For that problem, as long as you have the passanger side axel out all you have to do is carefully insert a long metal rod through the tranny untill you come in contact with the driver side aexl then hit the end of the rod hard once and it should pop out. Just be very careful when inserting things into the tranny, thers something in there called a spidergear which tends to fall down and the only way to repostion it is by dissasembling the tranny.

But wait i just realized your doing a ATX to MTX swap...... Dont know if you can slide a rod in or not, ive never trie with a ATX worth a shot though, if your not keeping the tranny and its garbage you might as well try.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
se7en

Post by se7en »

thanks!, that's a good idea.

and yes, the tranny I think is garbage. but I did notice when I had everything apart that the vacume line leading into the tranny was disconected :(

oh well, would have been nice to see if the fixed the atx but will be nicer to be mtx anyways.

My Feedback
Raven95150

Post by Raven95150 »

I still have my ATX laying around so I went out and looked at it...you should be able to get a long screwdriver or something similar through there to pop the drivers side shaft out. Otherwise, wait until you drop the crossmember. It is much easier to get a prybar in there after it is out of the way, thats what I did.
No more MX-3
2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT
95 F-150...6" lift, 35" tires

Return to “Transmissions”