headers?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
rodney5756

headers?

Post by rodney5756 »

im in the market for a set of headers for my gs... and i found some that go to the 2.5 v6 mx-6....will they bolt up? if so..that will save me like 300 dollars... if not can anybody recommend a place to get a set of headers?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

MX-6, Ford Probe GT, 626 and Millenia 2.5L headers will all bolt up to the K8 in the MX-3 GS. Modification of the exaust system is usually needed.. the Catalytic converter will need to be moved toward the rear of the car a few inches. But they bolt up to the engine no problem.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
rodney5756

Post by rodney5756 »

thanks much..
bazzle

exhaust?

Post by bazzle »

im working on my 93 GS needs lots of work. Can someone recommend a complete exhaust package , have only found the Monza cat-back system. Looking for somrthing from the engine to the cat.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Re: exhaust?

Post by Mnemonic »

bazzle wrote:im working on my 93 GS needs lots of work. Can someone recommend a complete exhaust package , have only found the Monza cat-back system. Looking for somrthing from the engine to the cat.
It would be more bennificial and better to just get a set of headers for the 2.5L klde and then have a shop do the exhaust. get you a nice highflow cat and then just get mandrel bent to the back to what ever muffler you want.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Tunes67 wrote:MX-6, Ford Probe GT, 626 and Millenia 2.5L headers will all bolt up to the K8 in the MX-3 GS. Modification of the exaust system is usually needed.. the Catalytic converter will need to be moved toward the rear of the car a few inches. But they bolt up to the engine no problem.

Tunes67
Gotta move the cat back a few inches eh...lol More like 9 inches
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

I put the pacsetter cat back on... After I do my swamp i'm taking it off and getting a shop to build a custom one... I dont care for the sound of monza, to raspy....
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

mx3autozam wrote:
Tunes67 wrote:MX-6, Ford Probe GT, 626 and Millenia 2.5L headers will all bolt up to the K8 in the MX-3 GS. Modification of the exaust system is usually needed.. the Catalytic converter will need to be moved toward the rear of the car a few inches. But they bolt up to the engine no problem.

Tunes67
Gotta move the cat back a few inches eh...lol More like 9 inches
anything under a foot is a few inches lol
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Depends on whether or not the cat currently on the car is a stock cat or not ;) I didnt have to move my cat back at all... but I had to shorten the pipe after the cat by about 5 inches ;) But mine wasnt a stock setup either ;) It has a aftermarket universal cat which appears to be a bit longer than a stock cat.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I think it was only 6 inches on my setup... but I had them install an aftermarket high flow cat...
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

My question is: how much of a benefit are the 2.5L headers over the regular v6 headers? I would love to get some headers for this car, especially these Mazda 2.5L ones that I can find at a lot of junkyards in this area, but it will be a hassle to get them installed and I don't have room to myself. Exhaust on these cars is critical, but are the 2.5L headers that much bigger?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

how much of a benefit are the 2.5L headers over the regular v6 headers?
I'd suggest you do some more research.. The headers for the 2.5L V6 are the only kind of headers out there. They just happen to bolt up to the 1.8L K8 engine as well since the heads are pretty much the same. You wont find headers to fit a 1.8L specifically. So its not that there is any additional benefit to running 2.5L headers.. its just they are the only type of headers available to begin with.

Tunes67

Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

So the only benefit of the 2.5L header is that it's interchangeable with ours, a convenience factor?
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Robotaz wrote:My question is: how much of a benefit are the 2.5L headers over the regular v6 headers? I would love to get some headers for this car, especially these Mazda 2.5L ones that I can find at a lot of junkyards in this area, but it will be a hassle to get them installed and I don't have room to myself. Exhaust on these cars is critical, but are the 2.5L headers that much bigger?
So you are asking about the exhaust manifold from a 2.5L engine vs. buying the 2.5L headers off of ebay??

If you really want better flow you would need to spend the money...

I don't think that would really be that big of an improvement... I don't know for sure but I don't think the 2.5L exhaust manifolds don't have any better flow than the 1.8L. I guess they would bolt right up but what's the point?! :roll:
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well the big benefit is that it's a header vs. a cast iron manifold. If anyone made a header for the 1.8L it would probably not flow as freely as the ones that are on the market for the 2.5L. Yoda made a very good post regarding the effects of the different exhaust variables in this thread...

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=38859

You'll find that on the K8, a KL header will give you a very strong hit high in the rpm range, but you will lose significantly in the bottom end. I think most of these are designed to improve top end on 2.5L KL's but because the K8 has much less displacement, the effect is exaggerated.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”