Help! My car almost dies...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
GS_Princess

Help! My car almost dies...

Post by GS_Princess »

Hey guys...k, everytime I park my car I put it in first and pull the e-brake. Everytime I pull the e-brake my car nearly dies (one time it did completely die). It drops to like 400 rpms...what's going on?
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

you should not be doing this, if the ebrake lets go your car will go flying off. if youre going to leave you car running pull it out of gear into neural then use the ebrake. regardless dont leave a car in gear, automatic or standard.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I think you might want to check for vacuum leaks.. specifically around the flex hose. Usually vacuum leaks affect the idle speed more than anything.

As for leaving the car in 1st gear when you park it. Thats perfectly acceptable as a safety precaution. In fact, most driving instructional courses teach you to do just that with Manual transmission cars. This is so that if the e-brake fails the car wont just roll away. Especially important when parking on a hill. Also turn your wheels towards the curb.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
cstott282

Post by cstott282 »

Dali wrote:you should not be doing this, if the ebrake lets go your car will go flying off. if youre going to leave you car running pull it out of gear into neural then use the ebrake. regardless dont leave a car in gear, automatic or standard.
huh? how would the car go rolling away if your parked in gear and the ebrake failed?
Dali
Supporting Member

Post by Dali »

from the way im reading it she leaves the car running in first then pulls the ebrake, while car is running.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I'm sure she still has the clutch pedal depressed.. The way it comes across for me is that she is getting ready to shut it off but the idle drops right as she pulls up the e-brake. That could be a vacuum leak.. or I suppose there could be an electrical cause.. maybe a weak alternator.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Dali
Supporting Member

Post by Dali »

the ebrake of course has nothing to do with the motor, so what it sounds like is the motor is struggling to pull the car but the ebrake is doing its job. if this is the case i would gather she has a rs as well.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

If you put a RS or a GS in 1st gear.. pull the ebrake and let out the clutch.. it should kill the motor.. period. Unless the ebrake is weak enough that the car can move and you let out the clutch very slowly.. but who would do that and why? That would just be weird LOL

Tunes67

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The ebrake handle does have an electrical connection (switch) for the brake light.. I doubt it would be enough to trip anything though.. not a very big connection.

Tunes67

umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Clearly she is parking her car with it in first gear (with the clutch held in), then pulling the e-brake, then shutting the car off. If she was doing it the way that you thought Dali, I don't think she'd be able to figure out how to get the letters onto the computer screen.

Not sure about the MX3, but many GM's and other vehicles have the e-brake wire tied into the daytime running light system. When you pull the e-brake, the running lights turn off. This is the only thing I can think of. As for what to do if this is the problem. I dunno...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Not sure about the MX3, but many GM's and other vehicles have the e-brake wire tied into the daytime running light system. When you pull the e-brake, the running lights turn off. This is the only thing I can think of

Good call.. I had totally forgotten about the daytime running lights. Since its a canadian only thing.. I havent even seen one in person. But this is something that could definitely kick in enough of a load on the electrical system that could cause a drop in idle speed as the alternator ramps up to meet the increased power demand.

Tunes67

Vanished

Post by Vanished »

The day time running lights idea make no sence. When you pull your ebrake the DTRL's turn OFF...no lights exept your marker. So that would put LESS load on the engine.

Right?
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

The point of the daytime running light idea is that when the drl relay is disengaged, it changes the state of the electrical system. Yes, common sense would tell you that the drl system turning off would relieve stress from the electrical system. But my point was simply that this drl issue, and the handbrake light on the dash are the only electrical consequences that I know of when you pull the handbrake.

Since as far as I know the handbrake has an effect on only the above things, and the rear brakes, what other explanation is there for it affecting her idle.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
mx3autozam

Re: Help! My car almost dies...

Post by mx3autozam »

GS_Princess wrote:Hey guys...k, everytime I park my car I put it in first and pull the e-brake. Everytime I pull the e-brake my car nearly dies (one time it did completely die). It drops to like 400 rpms...what's going on?
The name GS_Princess.....are you a girl? where abouts in ontario are you located?
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Dali
Supporting Member

Post by Dali »

oops i wrote down rs, i ment to say she has a auto tranny. the ebrake would be strong enough to hold the car but would cause the engine to drop in rpms. the dtrl would have nothing to do with this unless she has such a weak electrical system which would make itself know with other problems. only way to find out whats wrong is to check whats shes doing.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”