wireless

Off-Topic Discussions
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

wireless

Post by mitmaks »

I was able to connect on our laptop pretty much anytime to our local wireless internet. Now I had new system built and it worked a while (wireless) but right now I cant really connect or it connects and wont work for extended periods of time. Im not sure whats wrong with it, maybe something with the settings.
I have Netgear WG311v2 802.11g pci adapter on my desktop.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Try rebooting the wireless router. If your computer used to be able to connect, but no longer can, then it most likely is not the computer, but the router. Just in case, make sure you have the latest and greatest drivers for your PCI card and the lastest firmware for your router.

I'd do this:

Reboot your router.

Reboot your computer while the router is rebooting.

Clear your wireless connections in Windows (assuming you are using a Windows based computer). Right click on your wireless connection icon, and choose properties, and find the box where all your connections are listed. Remove each one.

Try to reconnect to your wireless signal. You should be prompted for your password and such, unless it is unsecured (bad idea anyway), in which case it will warn you about connecting to unsecured connections.

If all of this doesn't work, I would do:

Reset your router. Normally, you do this with a paper clip or something in the tiny reset hole that should be located on your router. I think you unplug it, and hold in the reset button for like 30 seconds. This should clear all settings stored in the router. Then plug it back in and let it reboot.

Uninstall your wireless PCI card. Right click My Computer (for Windows), and select properties. Click on Device Manager in one of the tabs, and find your wireless card. Right click that and select uninstall driver. Then reboot your computer so that it finds the wireless card and reinstalls it again, effectively erasing all your settings that you had for that wireless card.

Then try to reconnect to the router.
No more MX-3.
Volones

Post by Volones »

We have this problem at times also. I've determined that we are on the very edge of someone else's signal, and sometimes the computer tries to connect to that signal. When that happens, we don't get online. I have to go in a disable that other signal and then do a "repair" on the connection to our router, which fixes the problem.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Also, its a 2.4 GHZ signal

Cell phones, microwaves, cordless phones, florecent lamps, all can cause interference.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Well like usual Im able to connect on laptop and my desktop is just sitting there, showing me networks I can connect to buy doesnt not connect to them.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Sounds like a driver issue. Uninstall the PCI card, and reinstall it using the most up to date drivers you can find, whether they are digitally signed or not. Make sure nothing is interfering with your computer, such as other wireless signals, microwaves, etc. Adjust the antenna coming off the PCI card, as well.
No more MX-3.

Return to “Off-Topic”