Car just don't want to start

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mirage-mx3

Car just don't want to start

Post by mirage-mx3 »

i was crusing on the highway and suddenly i smelled something burnt, took a look at the temp gauge and it had went up to about 80-90%,
i only had about 5miles to my garage so i kept going.. in about 3miles i see smoke comming from the hood so i stopped the car at the side of the highway..

at this time the heat gauge was up to 100% and a lot of smoke from the engine..
i waited for the car to cool down and tried to start but i didnt want to so i got help to transport it back to the garage.

the car technican at my work place have almost tried everything to get it running but me/he is running out of ideas, he has changed the headgasket, radiator, distributor, sparkplugs and wires..
the only code we got from diag was 05 (knocksensor)

he says it got fuel, the startengine cranks but it wont start :(
engine is a kl03 2.5l from mazda 626 -93

help me here please im getting desperate :) sorry for bad english im from sweden.
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

That's tough to diagnose over the internet.

Perhaps trying to find why it overheated/burnt.
Is your thermostat ok?
Oil in the engine?
Rad needs flushing?
Maybe look into if the knock sensor is bad according to the code. Not sure how that would make it overheat, but if it says its bad, that could be why it won't start.

For future reference, it's not a good Idea to keep driving when the temp gauge is up to hot. Unfortunately resulting in expensive repairs as you have experienced.

Hope you get it sorted out.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

if he replaced the headgasket, what did everything look like inside the motor? Its possible the motor is shot. First thing i would do is check your cpmpression.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well if its got fuel.. then its time to check for spark. I would also do a compression check.. this will reveal if the timing belt was reinstalled correctly. Low numbers or inconsistant compression numbers (one bank of cylinders way lower than the other bank) will show if your valve timing is off (Indicating the timing belt is wrong).

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”