Readings gone bad

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Readings gone bad

Post by Bumpysbro »

hey guys im kind of in the dark on this one. i thought my multimeter was bad because i was getting some weird readings when i testing my maf, o2, and spark plug wires. heck even the distributor that i just got from autozone tested bad on the primary coil. and i have not even installed it yet. but we tested a 102v on our 120v power outlet but it had the lights on so thats about right, get a 1.5v from a AA battery and 12.6 from our batteries. i mean whats the odds of all these components being bad, most of them are new and un used especially the o2 sensor. getting a 16.8ohm reading when it should be 6ohms. getting a 1.56ohm reading on my coil. which means its gonna be getting alot more current then its supposed to. if you have any thoughts it would be greatly appreciated because i dont think our meter is bad. thanks
Jon
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

oh ya just to add i tested the resistance on the fuel injectors. all 4 getting 14.3 ohms across the board. very strange i bought the maf used, the o2 sensor new from online and the disty from autozone. but that would explain why my coil's keep burning out.
Volones

check yer meter

Post by Volones »

The resistance and voltage measurements on your multimeter are totally different circuits. The resistance circuit should have its own power supply, which could be causing your problem (keyword - could).

I would test the meter on a known resistor to see if it's reading correctly. Just because the voltage reads right doesn't mean the resistance will also.

GL,
Vol
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well i tested the injectors and some other stuff with the ohm reader and seemed to be right. ill try some other stuff thanks for the reply
Volones

Post by Volones »

since the other readings seem to be correct, I'd take the parts back to the store and show them what's wrong. I'm sure they have a multimeter to check them out there also, which will either verify or correct your readings, and if they are bad, you can replace them right away.

Vol
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I'd also add here that cheap meters give cheap results. I have a cheap meter and I also have a Blue Point digital meter (snap on brand). The Blue Point meter is much more precise than the cheapy I got from Home Depot LOL. Long story short.. get a good quality meter if you dont already have one. :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

very true you get what you pay for most of the time. the one im using is a Actron CP7677 DVOM. its kind of old but its still going for 45 bucks on ebay. it seems to be good but ill take it down to when i go to auto class. see what the intructor says. thanks guys
Jon
xboxlivemonkey

Post by xboxlivemonkey »

maybe the decimal points are placed correctly
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

thats what i was thinking, but i tested some other stuff like the iac valve and the egr valve and some spark plug wires that are new and they came out perfect. so i guess buying a maf on ebay and a cheat 40dollar o2 sensor doesnt work out too well haha.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”