ZE Clutch Question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Julz

ZE Clutch Question

Post by Julz »

(search performed already)
Hey guys...
Quick question for the board, I just want to make sure I am on the right track with this one. I had the Ze in for about a year in a half with a stage 2 clutch by competition clutch. The clutch is slipping along with a shrudder (or shake) when I shift into any gear. Especially 1st, and 5th. I think I need a new clutch for the slippage but what would cause it to shake and shrudder? It feel similar to wheel hop, but I know it is not.

Bottom line...I'm just trying to get my list of parts together before I take it to the shop. I am seeing good recommendations from ACT II and clutch-masters II

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
AAAAaaannnnddd Action!
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

I have the clutchmasters stage 1, new pressure plate in since 2001 with my ze and resurfaced stock flywheel. Has worked great for me so far, including time at the track. If money is available, I would imagine the clutchmasters stage 2 would be great.

Perhaps a worn pressure plate could be the cause for the shudder?

I have heard some bad things about weights on a ACT letting go and causing damage.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

The clutchmasters stge 2 is supposed to be good. But i've driven mx3's with them and they just feel like garbage. There softer than OEM and feel all mushy and stuff.

I have ACT and havn't had any issues. I beat the hell outa it too. Yes its very hard pedal but I love it.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

Possibly the mushy feel with the clutchmasters stage 2 was that the person did not get a stronger pressure plate with the clutch. My stage 1 in no way feels mushy, and is definitely stronger pedal effort than stock, but nothing that cant handle a traffic jam. I do also have the stainless steel clutch line, but did not install that until a couple of years after the clutch.

Many people are happy wit the ACT as well. So I guess its up to you to choose, just providing my experience about the clutch I have.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
mx34u2nv

Post by mx34u2nv »

i got a bully clutch stg 2 and its fine with the ze ... no slippage, and its a little cheaper then the other two...
Full fx designs body kit, Apex lowering springs tokico struts, walbro fuelpump, klze, 17" sachhi wheels, b'm short throw shifter, ractive frount and rear tower bars, kl36 ecu. all for sale....pending

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”