kfze swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdaguy

kfze swap

Post by mazdaguy »

hey fellas, new to this group. I own a 95 mx-3 gs and i was wondering how much work there was to putting the kfze motor in the mx-3. I hear that its not worth my while to upgrade to the 2.0 L kfze and the Klze seems to be the fan favorite, but i can get a really cheap deal from a local guy and with my old K8 getting up well in the 200 k range i think its time to do a swap. However if there is too many mods for the kfze then i won't bother to swap and prob just get another k8. Any suggestions?
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

It wont be any more difficult than pulling your k8 and replacing with another. Once you see the motor, if you have not already. It will look identical to your k8 besides a different IM. The only two differences i would look into, is what vaf and ecu you run with a kf.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Hmm, woudln't it be better to get a DE? Cheaper, just like 5hp less (of the 170hp version) but should have alot more torque than a KF
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mazdaguy

Post by mazdaguy »

i agree, probably would be alot easier to go with the de......much easier to find parts. However i find it really hard to pass up the deal on the KF i mean its almost a gift for 100 bucks. The only things i'm kinda sketchy on are if the ecu, vaf, intake manifold ( straight neck) will work. i know u can get the stock k8 ecu chipped for the klze but i don't kno about the kfze.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

eh the kf and the de are more or less the same power wise, the de gives you a bit more torque but i just aways liked the kfze better, just seemed to be alot more fun than a de :) As for the ECU i just put one up in the forsale section Kf15 the one you need check it out :)
Last edited by Mnemonic on August 13th, 2007, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

yeah the ecu IS A MUST for the kfze. I got one but im selling the whole thing local, engine went udner water but seems to turn well.. odd ..

thaty engine seems to be cursed lol no joke
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mazdamx3freak

Post by mazdamx3freak »

everyone says you need the kf ecu but i did a swap for a friend and it runs/idles fine and thats 8 months running strong...
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

no, no one ever said you have to have one to run it, but it will run better with the original ecu that was made for it, granted you can run a klze on a k8 ecu for the rest of the motors life, doesnt mean its going to run the way it was designed to.
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

mine ran like crap with stock ecu. Maybe its the kfde the one with cup shaped pistons. That one should run well with k801 ecu?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

that was mine the 1st day i got it, yea it didnt last a hour before we started ripping it apart :)

and after all the work

Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Dont swap a KFZE.. bad luck with those motors seems to go around..
mazdaguy

Post by mazdaguy »

isn't the correct ecu for this setup the kf15?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Nice work man.. looks excellent :2thumbsup:

Dont swap a KFZE.. bad luck with those motors seems to go around..
Damn supersticious rednecks.. dont push me Barry.. I'll put one in my GS just to piss ya off ;) LOL

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

yea the kf15 is the one to use, i had my ecus mixed up

hahaha dont listen to barry, there good engines just had a string of bad luck within 1 year.
I had a flash back durring hurricane Ivan and thought i was back on a submarine and took the mx3 under water and killed mine, Barrys had an oil issue, now if it was operator error or an engine problem i can not say, i remeber getting mad at him because of how he cranked it up and well hector decided that he didnt need no water let the mf burn, burn mf burn lol fire due to fuel leak or electrical problems or both i'm not sure....
Last edited by Mnemonic on August 13th, 2007, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mazdaguy

Post by mazdaguy »

the kfze that i'm lookin to buy is the straight neck square runner that u are talkin about.....so this will not fit into the mx3?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”