GSM (SIM card, cellular) car alarms

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Jacbs2007

GSM (SIM card, cellular) car alarms

Post by Jacbs2007 »

so does anyone know of any decent GSM car alarms? I have had little luck finding any decent looking ones as far as quality...they all seem to be imported as it seems to be a fairly new product.

for anyone that doesnt know what a GSM alarm is, it's just a normal car alarm that has the ability to be controlled through a cell fone SIM card. It can send you txt messages or call you alerting you of breakins and allow you to disable the engine when your key fob/pager is out of range. Some of them also have car phones so you can have that feature as well. You need a sim car...but you can always get a prepaid from at&t or virgin mobile and just keep refilling your minuts, as I doubt they will get used fast.

does anyone know much about these?[/url]
1993 GS
-MS front -functional molded hood scoop
-MS molded sides-shaved antenna
-Civic projectors -New black paintjob
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

After my stereo was stolen when someone cut a hole IN MY DOOR (right under the handle, never seen that before), I wish I had this system so I could have run outside with a baseball bat and made a mess of the guy's face.

But no, I know nothing about this system, but I want one :D
No more MX-3.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

wow that sounds pretty cool but say your cell phone gets stolen... LOL what then?! :roll:

They would have control of your car!
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

My cell phone is on my person at all times. When I am sleeping, it is right above my head (I use it for my alarm clock). So when I forget it, I feel completely naked! Wow, I'm technology dependent or something...
No more MX-3.
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

you have to enter a code to be able to have any control of functions on your car. this is PART of why I am skeptical of buying one. Noone seems to have tried any of the available units and I have no idea what kind of security protection or encryption anything has. I dont want someone to be able to call my cars fone # and be able to disable it while I'm driving along the highway because it only has a 3 number security pin and takes 11 guesses to figure out.

All of the units descriptions are written in horrible english as well. Not that that definetely means it's a P.O.S unit, but if they can't take the time/money to properly translate for english customers...how should someone think the quality of their items will be?
1993 GS
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Jacbs2007 wrote:3 number security pin and takes 11 guesses to figure out.
A 3 digit pin has 1000 possible combinations. The chances of someone finding out the cars phone number, the cars location, and your pin is slim to none. Even then they would need your key if they want to drive the car. Most unit generally have a longer pin than 3 digits.

I've seen the websites that sell these alarms and like you said their English is a little concerning, but if you know anything about electronics or wiring it should be fairly straight forward in terms of installation.
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

I'm not too worrie about installation. I'm mainly worried about the quality/integrity of the system. They're not too expensive so it couldnt hurt to try...but I wish there were reviews or someone who has actually installed and used one that I could talk to.
1993 GS

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”