3rd Gear Shift Fork???!!!

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
TimmyG

3rd Gear Shift Fork???!!!

Post by TimmyG »

I just purchased a 1994 mx3 v6 gs standard and the third gear doesent engage i was told it was the shift fork that was bent is this a possibility and is it some thing that is difficult to fix please help i really wanna drive it with a 3rd gear
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

The cost of having it fix is more that the cost of finding a new one. Also it is more common for the 3rd gear syncro to go than the fork bending.
TimmyG

Post by TimmyG »

thats what ive been hearing i just wanted to know for sure. so if it is the syncro does the tranny have to be taken apart and redone
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Whether it is the fork or the syncros other that 5th gear the tranny has to come out of the car and requires some special tools and jig to set the tolerences correctly definately not a DYI job. These days JDM have so many low mileage trannies around many of the throw out the Mazda MTX to make room for items they can sell. Over the years I picked up a couple of "pegged leg" open diff G series trannies for free and recently picked up a LSD MTX that uses the std. open diff CV joints instead of the older 323 CV joints for a very miminal cost.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Tell us where Yoda ;) LOL

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

probably from a different planet :roll:

I want an LSD!!!!
TimmyG

Post by TimmyG »

thanks for the info made up my mind quickly gettin a new tranny put in tommorow
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Tunes67 wrote:Tell us where Yoda ;) LOL

Tunes67
Once you get to know the guys at the various JDM import shops out here in Eastern Canada they tend to get very generous with the stuff that just doesn't sell and would normally be sent to the metal recyclers in the days just before a new shipment is to arrive. Then again I've been around on the side lines of the automotive industry for over 20 years so you get to know the right people and connections.

Even though one of the older MX-3 guys like myself owns a JDM import shop and new aftermarket parts company and spent some time in his warehouse looking at stuff. I've never actually took any big items from his inventory of "scrap" parts only small parts like sensors, switches and assessories
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

I want an LSD!!!!
You want one I think I know when there is at least one more with the same splines as the std. peg leg driveshafts. But there are not exactly cheap even when you know the owners of the shop.

Return to “Transmissions”