Short Ram Intakes

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
curt

Short Ram Intakes

Post by curt »

Hey, I got a 1994 MX3 1.8L v6... I'm looking for a short ram intake. Anybody know of some good sites that sell some good intakes? I wanted an AEM, but they dont make it for the MX3, but would anyone happen to know if theres any AEM kits that would fit an MX3 or any custom kits out there? Please, any links to good short ram intakes would be great! Thanks!
-Curt
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Most people end up custom making their own CAI's. Some get the early integra CAI kits off of ebay and adapt them to work. I used some spare parts and a MX-6 Short Ram intake to make my setup. Here is a pic of mine..

Keep in mind that the MX-6 shortram piece in that setup is the part from between the throttle body and the VAF. And I cut it to work there. I do have some spare left over CAI parts that I am going to put up for sale. Should see the stuff in the for sale forum in the next day or two if your interested.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
curt

Post by curt »

Thx for the CAI info but I'm looking more into a Short Ram. However I've heard that a short ram wouldn't do much for low end performance since I've got the stock engine.. and that a CAI would actually be better... Anyone know any more info about this? I was really leaning towards a Short Ram b/c it was small and easy to install... I dont really wanna have to do a whole lot of work. Also, I've seen some cars with different (nice) valve covers for the front three pistons.. anyone know where I could find one? I've been looking everywhere!
-Curt
golhap27
BANNED Member

Post by golhap27 »

they both wont do anything for performance just sound.
curt

Post by curt »

Alrighty, so would a short ram sound better? And I'm guessing it doesn't exactly matter which kind I get then since it wont affect performance... Also, engine dress up kits? I've searched top and bottom and can't find ANYTHING anywhere. The only valve covers I can find are for 4 cyl. Also, if I wanted to grab a Short Ram intake from AEM, what make/model of car should I get it for so I'd have to do the least work?
-Curt
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

There are no short ram intakes for the MX-3. If you want one.. you will need to make it yourself. Shortram intakes are not going to give you any performance increase since they are just sucking up hot engine bay air.. if you do a proper CAI you will see some slight gains. If you do a proper CAI and also improve your exaust flow.. you will see noticable gains, regardless of what other bad information you might read.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

curt

Post by curt »

How would I increase exhaust flow (sorry im new at this). High flow cat? or smash out the cat thats on right now? New pipe? what all do I need? Thanks! Anyone know about engine dressup?
-Curt
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I am not much for engine dress up... as for your exaust.. gonna depend on how much cash you want to spend.. headers.. catback exaust.. whole thing for a decent job will cost you $400-$600 maybe more depending on the exaust shop and how much work you do your self.

I think before you tackle any other engine bay projects.. you should spend a while here reading all the FAQ's and How to's that are posted around this site. Plenty of information available.

Tunes67

golhap27
BANNED Member

Post by golhap27 »

Tunes67 wrote:There are no short ram intakes for the MX-3. If you want one.. you will need to make it yourself. Shortram intakes are not going to give you any performance increase since they are just sucking up hot engine bay air.. if you do a proper CAI you will see some slight gains. If you do a proper CAI and also improve your exaust flow.. you will see noticable gains, regardless of what other bad information you might read.

Tunes67
you're an idiot..i'd like to see you put on a cold air intake and dyno it and compare it to a short ram. you wont see any noticeable difference
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

you're an idiot..i'd like to see you put on a cold air intake and dyno it and compare it to a short ram. you wont see any noticeable difference
Well stay tuned.. cause the dyno is less than a month away. Course you wont admit when your wrong.. And you should take some remedial physics courses as well. Cold air is more dense than warm air.. as a result. The ECU gives more fuel since its detected more air.. thus giving you more power. The opposit is true when the air is warm. Its less dense.. so the ECU reduces the amount of fuel provided to the cylinders.

Now.. if you have nothing nice to say.. go away. And rather than insult me.. try providing accurate or at least logical arguments to back up your statements.

Tunes67

golhap27
BANNED Member

Post by golhap27 »

congratulations you just pointed out something that provides no feasible answer...... moron

K then bring back a sheet one with short ram and one with cai....this should be funny...since you seem to think it will be a difference you notice
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

golhap27 wrote:
you're an idiot..

moron
Tsk tsk tsk. Chillax.
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

golhap27 wrote:congratulations you just pointed out something that provides no feasible answer...... moron

K then bring back a sheet one with short ram and one with cai....this should be funny...since you seem to think it will be a difference you notice
HEY STOP IT... THE ONLY MORON HERE IS YOU GOLHAP27

Tunes67 has help me and a lot of people for many times. And if there wasn't persons like him and others in this forum I would be a Zero with my car... just like You show us you are, since you give no knowloge, only anger and bad feelings... if your life sucks do something better than suck others lifes...
just my 0.2 cents
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

congratulations you just pointed out something that provides no feasible answer...... moron

With your attitude... you're unlikely to be around on this website by the time I get to the dyno LOL

Short ram intakes are bad, period. Its even arguable that the stock setup is better than running a short ram. Even though the stock setup is more restrictive, its still inducing a cold air charge.

Again.. I notice you provide no information to back up your claims. And I wont be doing a dyno run of a short ram intake since there is no point. The hood of my car will likely be open at the time the dyno run is done.. which doesnt simulate actual driving conditions and would allow a short ram to gather air that hasnt been heated up in the engine bay and thus would make such a run a moot point. My cold air intake on the other hand, will still allow cold air into the engine even with the hood closed. Granted this would be more noticeable while the car is in motion, but it will still be effective in either case.

I suggest you focus your energies towards your car rather than picking fights online ;)

Tunes67

MoRf

Post by MoRf »

wow i did not think e-rage would be an issue here lol

as for intakes heres mine, i think it looks alright and i did seem to notice some gains from it, plus it only cost about 50$CAD with the filter

and for engine dress up, almost any preformance shop has dressup kits for the wiring.

Image[/img]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”