Alarm System advice needed

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Alarm System advice needed

Post by Tunes67 »

I am starting to look at different alarm systems and I have a few specific requirements that I am not seeing listed on the box of your typical system. So I figured I would post up here and see if there is a relatively knowledgeable person here that might know of a brand name or even better, a model # of a system that has these specific goodies.

I want a pager system.
I want to be able to delay when the alarm system sounds in the car (after an intrusion has occurred)
I want to be able to disable the standard "Chirp Chirp", "Flash, Flash" stuff that tells everyone you have something worth keeping.
Lastly.. I want to be able to disable "remote disarming". Remote arming is fine.. but I want to have a hidden location inside the car where the alarm has to be disabled from.

I know the pager systems exsist.. but how about the other things? Is this all just wishful thinking? Or are car alarm systems these days more flexible than in the past? I havent put an alarm in a car in about 15 years LOL

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Viper has those things... sort of.
I don't know why you would want it to delay when someone breaks into your car. The Viper unit can be set to give a few seconds delay (they call it a warning), it goes *beep beep beep* before it goes full siren. I have that turned off since if someone opens the door that isn't me I'd like to know immediately. As for disarming the system they program in a way to manually disarm it using your car key and the program button (this is in case your pager dies). You can also turn off the beeps and chirps when unlocking and locking your doors (I hate those noises, plus it looks more stock). I don't think you can turn off the lights when locking/unlocking, but you might be able too. I don't know why you would want to disable being able to disable using the key fob, that just seems like you are paying for something you don't need and I highly doubt you will find something like that.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Ok.. I'll give a few details so you can get the full picture..

I want the siren sound to be delayed.. but not the signal to the pager.

*Reason* Around here most cars are broken into by punk kids.. they smash a window and if the alarm sounds they run away. See.. I dont want them to run away. I want the siren inside the car to be blasting their eardrums right about the same time that I arrive outside the car. :twisted:

I dont like the "Chirp Chirp" "Flash Flash" crap.. all it does is tell people you have stuff worth checking out.. it just tempts thieves to investigate your car. Worst case scenario.. I just dont hook up the lights.

No Remote Disarm.. I will admit this one is more to soothe my raging paranoia than anything else.. but if this isnt there or is disabled.. those freaks that drive around in vans scanning for alarm frequencies.. wont get a response from my car.

In summary.. in my opinion.. a car alarm should be more about trapping a theif than about showing off and annoying ones neighbors. So I am looking for an alarm system that will cater to my paranoia ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Tunes67 wrote:No Remote Disarm.. I will admit this one is more to soothe my raging paranoia than anything else.. but if this isnt there or is disabled.. those freaks that drive around in vans scanning for alarm frequencies.. wont get a response from my car.
That is some serious paranoia. With the amount of encryption on alarms (good ones) the chances of someone stealing your code is pretty much non existent. It's possible, but anyone smart enough to know how could easily find a better way to make quick money.

I agree with you that the chirping in annoying, but the flashing lights (imo) are good. It gives a visual confirmation that the doors are locked/unlocked without being annoying and while looking like a stock alarm. Most of the thieves around here are also smash and grab, the nice thing about having an alarm is that it really is a Deterrent. The only time a thief would break into a car with an alarm is if there was something easy and blatant to steal, such as a phone or stack of cd's on the passenger seat, in which case it's grab and run and you have no power over the situation. Even if the alarm doesn't sound they aren't going to stick around (or you may not be around). You might as well have the siren to make sure they don't get away with much.

I've found the best situation is to have an alarm and keep everything out of view.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Thats part of the issue.. I am planning to tint the windows to make it difficult for people to see inside the car.. I do agree with visual confirmation that the alarm is active.. but that could be on the pager or a small light on the dash. Doesnt need to be the headlights or running lights.

Last time I did any kind of electronics in my car.. the car was broken into multiple times.. 4 times in one year. I havent run anything worth having in my car since. But for my GS.. I want some toys this time.. ;)

Tunes67

chew*

Post by chew* »

Ok tunes. I have some comments.

#1 do not tint your car, It provides a basis for target ( tinted windows? he must have something ), limited visibility of someone on the opposite side of your car ( your in the house and see nothing someone is breaking in on opposite side ) and conveniently for a thief makes glass breakage virtually silent.

#2 In most cases it takes 30 seconds for a thief to take a radio. Giving a delay will only let them take your deck without any witnesses or sound to scare them off.

#3 if you did catch the thief and subdued him and the cops came he can sue you for assault, sue you if he cut himself on your car. the list goes on. You can possibly get hurt by a crackhead that has a drug driving his goal, catch aids from him etc etc. He may even have a weapon or gun.

#4 The best method I have come up with is a visually non detterent method.
No blinking lights to show you have an alarm. I call it stealth mode. I use 2 shock sensors max sensitivity. If you just lightly tap on my car or glass its an instant trigger no delay no warning. The best alarm is the unexpected alarm catches them off guard by surprise. A would be easy target isnt so easy anymore.

I have protected $1000's of dollars worth like this for the past 4 years with no problems. Before this I always had issues.

Just so you know most thieves do not smash out a window. They call it icing a window by running a flathead at the corner and literally chipping the corner causing the tempered glass to shatter. If this is attempted on my car the alarm will go off before they get a chance to Ice the glass.

An ex car thief taught me how to set this up, however also said that if they really really want your car nothing can or will stop them. Lojack is useless if not reported in the first 1/2 hour usually.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Your arguments are logical. So I will ask then how you would plan for having a VGA Touchscreen like this one..

http://www.autonode.com/xdpi107b.html

Even when closed it will be visible. The Head Unit I am using has a detachable face and I feel that would be protected well enough even if I didnt tint the windows.. (which I will be reviewing that idea in light of your information)

Maybe I can make a slide system that will allow this unit seat further back into the dash when not in use.. allowing a blank cover plate for camouflage.

I am open to suggestions.. my paranoia stems from several past car breakins.. granted.. not where I live now.. and not in a mx-3, but.. I am parking in a carport not a secured garage. And I already know what I want to do for electronics and "Toys" I just want a reasonable way to protect the stuff.

Tunes67

chew*

Post by chew* »

Ok this is actually preety easy. Since the screen actually slides into itself you dont have to hide the screen. What you have to hide is the radio. You will need a "factory" mazda radio to break and a scratched up cd. You will have to remove the front face of the "factory" radio and glue about 3/4 of a scratched CD to it. This will slide into your real deck giving the appearnce of yet just another POS factory radio in a car.

Last but not least don't brag to people about your music that live close by. 90% of the time a car stereo gets robbed it's by someone you know or someone you know knows. Turn your music off 1/4 mile before you get to your house.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I wont run a huge sub for that reason.. just advertises what you have. I am more into "Clean" sound than "Loudness" anyway. I'll have to see what I can dig up for the fake face plate idea.. that might just do the trick. ;)

Tunes67

mrmike420
Supporting Member

Re: Alarm System advice needed

Post by mrmike420 »

Tunes67 wrote:I am starting to look at different alarm systems and I have a few specific requirements that I am not seeing listed on the box of your typical system. So I figured I would post up here and see if there is a relatively knowledgeable person here that might know of a brand name or even better, a model # of a system that has these specific goodies.

I want a pager system.
I want to be able to delay when the alarm system sounds in the car (after an intrusion has occurred)
I want to be able to disable the standard "Chirp Chirp", "Flash, Flash" stuff that tells everyone you have something worth keeping.
Lastly.. I want to be able to disable "remote disarming". Remote arming is fine.. but I want to have a hidden location inside the car where the alarm has to be disabled from.

I know the pager systems exsist.. but how about the other things? Is this all just wishful thinking? Or are car alarm systems these days more flexible than in the past? I havent put an alarm in a car in about 15 years LOL

Tunes67
Try This:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-25MUBR9ykx ... 514CG750I5

Even has Free Shipping! LOL

And this is also a good site for security systems:

http://www.caralarm.com/
~FUeGo~
92 MX-3 GS, 5spd, Black Metallic, Tokico ZX2 Struts, Eibach Springs, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's, K&N A/F, Suzuka S/S Brake Lines, KGS Dual Tip Muffler, Dynamat Extreme Trunk Kit

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”