Anyone remove their power steering? How would it drive?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdamx3freak

Anyone remove their power steering? How would it drive?

Post by mazdamx3freak »

i was just wondering if anyone has removed there power steering and if so is it still good enough for daily use? ive drove hondas without it and they drive fine so would the mx?
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

I drove mine daily for years without it. Turns kinda hard below like 3miles an hour..other than that it was east..i actually prefer it in my mx3.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
mazdamx3freak

Post by mazdamx3freak »

what kind of belt would i need for runing the water pump by itself?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I wouldn't do it. If you tried turning while hard braking, your steering will become difficult in corners ...... i.e. dangerous. If you drive like a pussy, it might not matter. But the way I drive my MX3, I'd never ditch the power steering.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Id keep it unless you will swap to non power steering rack. Im having it done on my Cobra since s/c in in the way of p/s pump.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

lakersfan1 wrote:I wouldn't do it. If you tried turning while hard braking, your steering will become difficult in corners ...... i.e. dangerous. If you drive like a pussy, it might not matter. But the way I drive my MX3, I'd never ditch the power steering.
I race mine on a track...with turns and hard breaking. Not once was it hard to turn...

Maybe if it was autoX or sumthing.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

what is this so called manual rack?? where can I get it? my pump leaks alot and i dont want to replace it.. hmm if i bypass it will the stock rack die?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

you'd have to swap from manual rack car, ie car that didn't come with power steering rack from factory. It has different steering ratio so its easier to turn even without p/s pump.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

XxantwawnxX wrote:
lakersfan1 wrote:I wouldn't do it. If you tried turning while hard braking, your steering will become difficult in corners ...... i.e. dangerous. If you drive like a pussy, it might not matter. But the way I drive my MX3, I'd never ditch the power steering.
I race mine on a track...with turns and hard breaking. Not once was it hard to turn...

Maybe if it was autoX or sumthing.
I don't know what kind of tracks you were on, but any autoX or any road course track where you'd be below 10 MPH while making a hairpin. It'd be just dangerous unless all your turns on the road were slow and controlled. I tried it before and almost crashed trying to drive like I normally do.
n2ogsze

Post by n2ogsze »

An MX3 as a daily driver without powersteering is a b----. It makes the vehicle all the more uncomfortable to drive--I hate it. I bent a flange that hooks a PS line to the pump years ago, causing a huge PS leak. I fitted a gasket that worked well until recently swapping out power steering pumps when I swapped in a new engine. I've been driving without powersteering for about 6 months, and I've hated every minute of it.
T61 powered KLZE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”