Push Button Start

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
matt_s

Push Button Start

Post by matt_s »

Hey guys, when i get my MX i wanna add a push button start, but I'm not sure how to wire it in, Does any one know how to do this? Can you provide Detailed instructions.

thanks
matt_s
matt_s

Post by matt_s »

does anybody now how to do this?
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Google has a million write ups on it. It's not hard and it loses it's cool value pretty quick.
matt_s

Post by matt_s »

ok, found out how to install the thing, but what im wondering now is, were is the sig lighter on a 92 dash? any one got a close up pic?
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

If you are taking power off the cig lighter, you shouldn't be doing this install.
If you don't know what the cig lighter is, you really shouldn't be modifying anything on your car.
matt_s

Post by matt_s »

NO, what i was going to do is make the stock cig lighter into the push button start, so that you cant tell that there is a push start in the car, i just wanna know were the cig lighter is first before i decide on doing that.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

beside the ashtray.. lol
matt_s

Post by matt_s »

thought so, but does any one have a pic so i can see right were it is?
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

here is one found on cardomain

justin22_22

Post by justin22_22 »

If you half to ask where the lighter is, you may want to stop now. while you can still start your car.
matt_s

Post by matt_s »

hey, im just asking because i dont have the car yet, and i didnt look at the dash that much when i looked at the car.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

matt_s wrote:hey, im just asking because i dont have the car yet, and i didnt look at the dash that much when i looked at the car.
It's not some mystery part, it looks the same on all cars and since it's a convenience item they are always easy to spot and within arms reach of the driver.
matt_s

Post by matt_s »

i know its not a mystery part, i just wasn't sure were it was located, now i know were it is. Thanks
macwarrior

Post by macwarrior »

If you put a starter button in the cigarette lighter, you won't have a 12v power socket. No more charging your cell phone, running your iPod transmitter, radar detector, GPS unit, etc. Why don't you just put the start button somewhere more convenient, like the little extra knobs behind the steering wheel (assuming that you don't have them all filled up with existing buttons)?

Honestly, though, if you have to ask where the cigarette lighter is, I would highly recommend that you don't mess with your car's ignition system. Making a _secure_ starter button requires gutting the existing ignition key system and rerouting the wires to your new button. If you're just planning on putting in a relay to the starter motor, well -- make sure you have a good alarm :)
matt_s

Post by matt_s »

if you run it in parallel then you don't have to gut the original ignition system, b/c it will just act as a secondary switch.
mr1in6billion wrote: it loses it's cool value pretty quick.
Yah, ive noticed that, not only do i now have a push button start, but when ever i got to start my truck, once the key is in its habit to just keep turning it.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”