How do I remove This??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Matrix733

How do I remove This??

Post by Matrix733 »

Hello fellows, I was 108 miles from home when my mx3 just shutdown. i pull off the road and low and below my timing belt was off the cam staring at me.

I then noticed that the idler/tensioner pulley was just dangling. The bolt that held it in place broke off clean and I don't exactly know the best way to approach getting the piece in the block off.

Look at the pick below. Any ideas and or suggestion is very much appreciated.

Thanks
matrix733
[/img]
Knowledge Is Power ; Keep Cracking
Matrix733

Post by Matrix733 »

Well, my idea goes like this (have'nt tried it yet)

wear down a dremel cutting disc very small
try to use the dremel and put a slot in the broken screw
remove with flat head screw driver :)

easier said than done :roll: :lol: :roll:
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If memory serves, that bolt's in there with 20 ft/lbs of torque. Doubt you'd get it out with a screwdriver.

Aside from removing the head and taking it to a machine shop, I think you're screwed.
cerian_ca

Post by cerian_ca »

you can try a left hand drill bit, it's about 3 bucks, be sure to punch the center of your bolt b4 drilling.
MRoy
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

OMG
mechanic's worst nightmare right there

No place to work and that screw didn't left any contact point

What I would try is to grind 2 notches on each side of the bolt and use a pair of vicegrip on it
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Matrix733

Post by Matrix733 »

thanks for the advice fellows, will give this a go in a few and let you all know how it turns out.

I would really hate to pull the engine again, it would be number three in a year, lol. :lol:
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

If you can get to that straight on through the wheel well I would use a "easy out" bolt remover. You drill a hole in the center of the bolt, using a puch to make sure your bit doesn't "walk". Then insert the left threaded "easy out" and keep cranking until it pops out. I would soak it in liquid wrench a few times and let it sit for a few hours just to make sure the bolt comes out as easily as possible.
I would think that the tight space being too small for a drill is why no one suggested the easy out. They are the most common tool used for removing a sheared bolt. They are also easy to use and very effective. The problem is going to be making sure that your hole you drill in the bolt is straight on. If not you might drill through the bolt and into the head.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I agree with Pat. Getting a drill in there would be tricky though.. so I suggest you use a Dremel tool with the flex shaft attachment & drill bit chuck. Wont be cheap to buy these tools if you dont have them already. But.. would still be cheaper and less work that removing the head and having a machine shop drill it out. Use a punch as Pat mentioned and then use the dremel to drill a hole down into the bolt. Then use the SCREW type easy outs not the lame square type (you will see the difference when you go to buy them) A bit of spray lube and that bolt should back out of there fairly easy. Best of luck.

(By the way.. the dremel trick.. I had to use that one on a oil pump bolt on my old subaru.. only way to drill without removing the engine in that car.. worked like a charm..)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

3rd-ing the easy out recco...

and, unless I am off base (and please correct me if I am) the 20 ft lbs of torque is a non-issue since the head of the bolt is missing so the bolt is no longer in tension...
93 GS SE
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

and, unless I am off base (and please correct me if I am) the 20 ft lbs of torque is a non-issue since the head of the bolt is missing so the bolt is no longer in tension...
True.. but there could be corrosion in the bolt threads and if the bolt was actually bottomed out in the hole (unlikely I will admit) it could still be very tight in the hole.. even exceeding the 20 ft lbs.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Here is a pic of a Easy out kit I got at sears some years back.. has never let me down. I broke a LOT of the square type easy outs before I found this set.

Just so you know what to look for at the tool store :D

Tunes67

Matrix733

Post by Matrix733 »

thanks fellows, I have a dremel but I will have to get the flex attachment.

thanks for that pic Tunes67, will grab these sometime tomorrow but probably won't get to the car till next week.

all suggestions is greatly appreciated, hopefully i will get it out as am moving in a month and would like to drive this car and not tow it. :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”