are the hatches interchangable?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Duffman247

are the hatches interchangable?

Post by Duffman247 »

i have an 1995 RS and i wanted to change a few things about it.

first i wanted to know if i could get a hatch with the windshield whiper and spoiler on mine.

i didn't know how difficult it would be to rewire and what not.

and second is it possible to get the old dash?

i thought i'd like the little balls, but over time i didn't.

There is an old 1992 GS with both of these things at a local junk yard, i was wondering if they would be useable and the amount of work that would be expected

i'm really hoping for an answer on this
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

anything is possible, just a matter of wiring up stuff for the wiper to work as well as getting the resevoir tank for the windshield fluid. also people make del slo hatches work on an mx3, not sure how much work that is, also i have a 93 old stule dash, if your close enough we can trade even.
Cy

Post by Cy »

Yes on both counts....with enough time on the second...

92 gs into a DOHC Rs...is gonna be fun
dunno bout the SOHC to 94rs...could be less difficult....or more...
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

this is something i was wondering too, now we just gutta figure out how its done.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

this seems like a complicated project. For changing the dash alls you will need is the dash and wiring harness and you have to modify how it sits down on the floor and bolts in.

you will need a new steering column combination switch for the wiper...unless you decide to just run a switch...but I just thought of something... is it possible the wires are already there for the rear hatch from a gs? or would that be an additional wiring harness?
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

it would probably had to be made, cuz im sure they dont make a wiring harness for the sohc WITH rear wiper, id just buy one and get a sepereate switch for it lol.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Spoilers are interchangable between all varients and models. I have the RS hatch garnish on line, I replaced my old GS spoiler with it so I can mount my supra-style spoiler. They all bolt in identically. Actually for those purchasing an RS new, you had the choise of putting on the GS spoiler, or even the RS spoiler, for an additioan cost of course.

For the rear wiper, not sure. It would be as easy as giving it power and it works and wire up your own switch, or who knows how easy or difficult to get the column controls with the rear wiper control. I'm guessing it should be farily easy if you know how to test and wire stuff up, but if anything what would probably happen is that it'll just be "on" and "off" and you don't get the auto-pulse after 3 wipes.

As for swapping the dash. Many people have swapped their 92-93 dash to the bubly 94+ dash many times, but i've never heard of anyone doing it the other way around. if you do a search for "dash swap" you should be able to find many threads about it. Sure it'll be backwards for what your looking for, but the information should be farily relevant and should give you a really good idea on what you need to do.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

the whole purpose for the rear hatch is for the wiper and spray lol. i got a rs i put a gs wing on it, bolted right up.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Spray, lol, I never use mine, it just trickles out, has since day one.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

bad urethra?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Swapping dashes would be complicated for certain.. the 94+ dash has electronic push button controls. The older style is cable driven. Having cars that have both dashes.. I like the 92-93 for overall functionality.. and I like the look of the 94+ for general asthetics. Going to be a lot of work swapping from new to old.. would be more than going old to new. Use a digital camera and take LOTs of pics when taking the old (92) style apart so that you can reference them when reinstalling the dash into your car.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Tunes67 wrote:The 94+ dash has electronic push button controls. The older style is cable driven.
I'm curious, I've heard people say this before, but I have a 95 and it's not electronic. Was it only the later GS models?
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

maybe it was just an options thing.
Duffman247

Post by Duffman247 »

from what it seems the dash is too difficult, i can live, but i really love the way the spoiler and wiper blade pull off the back of it.

so what your saying is i'll loose most of the functionality of the hatch wiper if i do it?

if i shiched wiring harnesses and took the wiper stick from the GS why wouldn't it work like normal?
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

duffman keep your newer style dash, i wish i could get one, i have the old style one and i like yours becuase, you have those circle ac vents, and gauges fit in there perfect like the boost, oil temp and stuff, those gauges fit perfect in there, just pop right in

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”