Whats an FMU

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
hgallegos915

Whats an FMU

Post by hgallegos915 »

Captain stupid asks...

whats an FMU?? is it like a fuel controller?

Fuel pressure regulator?

Sorry.. im so sorry for asking.. im so dumb.. i used search but everyone mentions you need an "FMU" and im like... uh?? what? huh? doh.

I apologize in advance... im all embarased to ask.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

its a POS in my opinion don'y buy one
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

LOL at this one...you might think of editing your post after this reply. I'd be embarassed too. I think I would have Googled it instead of posting but gaining the knowledge is the important part...not necessarily how you get it.

Its Fuel Management Unit
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

o WOW i was close lol thanks guys!
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

fmu can be different things but like said it's a Fuel Management Unit and most of the people refer it as a rrfpr (rising rate fuel pressure regulator) to bump the fuel pressure per psi.

I would run one on a tight budget under 10psi. I would NEVER use one above that though. Too much crucial to use it
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

yeah for every pound of boost it read as it runs off vacumn it raises the fuel pressure dependant on the ratio eg.12:1, 8:1,... is it s---? no otherwise vortec supercharger kits for new mustangs, vettes, etc. wouldnt come with a fmu. is it the safest, best? no but neither is probably the other components of ur setup...but like above for low boost ull be fine i dont c going and spending 1000+ on a standalone if ur just instaliing a turbo or running low boost and if u have a bigger turbo built motor more boost then u can afford a piggyback or standalone which is obviously better but ull bend over i bet if u blew ur motor got a b6t bottom end put ur top end on it it would still cost less than a standalone

think of it as hockey an fmu would be houseleague standalone would be the NHL- rarely would ur first organized hockey team u play for be in the NHL u start in house league USUALLY b4 u r even old enough to play rep
so y not start with a FMU and build up to a standalone. i hope that makes sense its my 2 cents im not saying that a fmu is safer than a standalone im not saying u get more power from a fmu i know a standalone is better period by far but for us young ppl that just finished college and what not have some debt to pay getting started in a career 5-10000$ isnt availble to us for a turbo unless its from mommy and daddy
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
m90daytona

Post by m90daytona »

wow...alot of bad mouthing fmu's! they have their benefits. like running small fuel injectors and still making great power. plus, the vortech sfmu is a fpr and rrfpr all in one. it controlls base and boost. i used a standalone ecu and sfmu on my last project car and i was able to get a great tune.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

m90daytona wrote:wow...alot of bad mouthing fmu's! they have their benefits. like running small fuel injectors and still making great power. plus, the vortech sfmu is a fpr and rrfpr all in one. it controlls base and boost. i used a standalone ecu and sfmu on my last project car and i was able to get a great tune.
why would you use a standalone AND a sfmu ??????
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
m90daytona

Post by m90daytona »

babyblueMX3 wrote:
m90daytona wrote:wow...alot of bad mouthing fmu's! they have their benefits. like running small fuel injectors and still making great power. plus, the vortech sfmu is a fpr and rrfpr all in one. it controlls base and boost. i used a standalone ecu and sfmu on my last project car and i was able to get a great tune.
why would you use a standalone AND a sfmu ??????
the sky is the limit as far as fuel tuning when you use both. w/ msII you cant have injector pw below 2ms and i didnt want my car running pig rich at idle. so i used msII together w/ the sfmu, and smaller fuel injectors to accomplish what i wanted. the sfmu does base pressure and you need an fpr anyway so even if i didnt want it to be boost sensitive i could always put a 1:1 disc in if i chose too.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

I use 280CC and MSns and i dont run rich at idle....and my FPS is not even connected..i dont even use it.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
m90daytona

Post by m90daytona »

XxantwawnxX wrote:I use 280CC and MSns and i dont run rich at idle....and my FPS is not even connected..i dont even use it.
280cc is small for most boosted cars. try running 500cc or 1000cc injectors and things start getting hairy w/ 2.0ms pulse width.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Alot of people ten to go over kill with the injectors, 280cc works fine for what im doing, no reason for me to go any bigger. but i c what your saying.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

m90daytona wrote:
XxantwawnxX wrote:I use 280CC and MSns and i dont run rich at idle....and my FPS is not even connected..i dont even use it.
280cc is small for most boosted cars. try running 500cc or 1000cc injectors and things start getting hairy w/ 2.0ms pulse width.
I don't know what engine you are running but I'm thinking 4 cyl.
Don't forget us sixers have 6 injectors so they can be smaller.
XxantwawnxX wrote:Alot of people ten to go over kill with the injectors, 280cc works fine for what im doing, no reason for me to go any bigger. but i c what your saying.
How much boost are you running ?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3

Return to “Forced Induction”