Strange wirring noise from engine after hard driving.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ElectricEnergy

Strange wirring noise from engine after hard driving.

Post by ElectricEnergy »

At the last two autocross meets I noticed that directly after one or two hard runs, the engine starts to make a wirring noise that gets louder with the revs. Even if its just sitting in neutral.

After about 2 minutes it stops. The engine doesn't behave differently, just makes that weird noise. For some reason it seems to happen more if I get sideways on the corners.

I hope its nothing to worry about. I've got enough to fix on the car as it is! :p
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Hmm i had the same thing happen to me the other night, i thought it was my stereo but i turned it off and still did it (usually its the ground wire with our stereo). I didn't pop the hood or anything but yeah it was a weird whining noise and only gets louder when revving.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

hold on... is the whirring noise coming from under the hood or through your car speakers?

If it's coming from under the hood is it coming from the timing cover?
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

No i don't think it was coming from my speakers (as i turn my stereo off and it still did it). I didn't check if it was coming from the engine, but it must be. Ill have to check it out more when it happens again.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

I HAVE THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!!!

i think. Smith you heard mine...same thing?
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Mines definitely coming from the engine. I popped the hood to make sure last time it happened. But I couldn't tell where it was coming from. It only happens for about 2 minutes at a time. After you start driving normally again it quiets down in a few minutes.

Seems like a really common problem. Is it even a problem? :P It is pretty noticeable when it does it.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Vanished wrote:I HAVE THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!!!

i think. Smith you heard mine...same thing?
Are you talking about your weird knocking noise? no thats not what im talking about, its some sorta of whining noise (it almost sounds like when you have that whining noise threw the speakers). I only heard it the one time, next time ill do some more investigating.
caper587

Post by caper587 »

Sure it's not just the fan? Althought if it changes pitch with the RPM's then it dosen't sound like that. Just a though.
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

No. The best way I can describe it is the sound of a planetary gear box.....

Actually, it sounds very much like that whine you get when driving in reverse. But the car doesn't have to be in gear for you to hear it. and the clutch can be either engaged or disengaged so it is isolated to the engine.
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

i had a problem like this to , it was my bottom tensioner pully. one of the bearings was dry and once it got hot it was quite loud and annoying.
so if you cant find anything, check ur bearings..
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

That makes sense, it did sound like a belt thing. I'll look into it next time it happens.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Its your flux capacitor discharging.... :lol:

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”