how do i remove the HLA's

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
96mx-3

how do i remove the HLA's

Post by 96mx-3 »

hey i have every thing off..im looking at the HLA's i can get the tops off but the springs are stuck in the holes how can i pull them out? is there a tool or just yank em ? manual doesnt say how to take em out jsut to take em out...
thanks
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Use a magnet.. just pull them up out of the bore off the top of the springs. The oil may cause slight vacuum lock but they will slide out of the bore if you pull up on them with enough force. This is assuming you have removed the cams.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

yea i got the cams out..i jsut cant get the springs..the caps ( i duno what there acutally called) ( silver caps) are off..but the spring is in there...ill try a magnet..good idea lol thanks..
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Those silver "Caps" are the HLA's. They sit on top of the springs...

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

ok so how do i take out the springs? same way ? i cant get the springs out iwth the magnets..
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Why are you trying to remove the valve springs?

Tunes67

96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

i am taking off the heads..and in the manual it says i gotta take it out i belive ..maybe not if just the caps are the hlas..
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You dont have to remove the valves or valve springs to remove the heads. Just unbolt the heads from the block. If you really need to remove the valve springs.. it will be easier to do with the heads off the block anyway.

Tunes67

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Out of curiosity.. why are you removing the heads?

Tunes67

96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

awsome thank you
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

ok so now im stuck on the head bolts...is it regular sockets? 13 fit but i think i made it skip 2wice with a breaker bar..any tips ?
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

96mx-3 wrote:ok so now im stuck on the head bolts...is it regular sockets? 13 fit but i think i made it skip 2wice with a breaker bar..any tips ?
Um at this point i think you need to pick up a shop manual and do a little reading.... Not trying to be and a-- but if you gonna take the motor apart you may want it.

Its a 12 point, you will need a medium extension and a breaker bar to get them out. Maybe sure you have all the inner and outer timing covers off first.
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

there is also a pattern in which you take them out, YOU DO NOT JUST PULL THEM ALL OUT, and remeber once you remove the headbolts you need to go get new ones, as its not recomend that they be retorqued down again
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

no i undertsand the pattern in removing them..and i will replace them i jsut cant ge tthem out ? the 12mm is to small i put on 13 and its snug but when i go to loosen it it skips if i really try..so im jsut curious if im using the wrong tool
Red Rocket

Post by Red Rocket »

1/2 inch is just a tiny bit smaller than 13mm.
[*url=http:cardomain.com/ride/2632839]My Cardomain Page[/url*]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”