Re-Mapped K8 ECU

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
OutlaW

Re-Mapped K8 ECU

Post by OutlaW »

Hi guys just a small question:

Can the K8 ECU ce re-mapped from the diagnosis box ?
I mean, can it be re-mapped at all ?
If i get more pressure on the fuel, wont i need to re-map the ECu in order to get more air ? And maybe get a CAI ?
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Re: Re-Mapped K8 ECU

Post by mr1in6billion »

OutlaW wrote:If i get more pressure on the fuel, wont i need to re-map the ECu in order to get more air?
:? Re mapped to get more air??? The computer has no control over how much air enters the engine, that is entirely up to how open the throttle is and how restrictive the intake. The computer also has no control over fuel pressure (fprs are manual and fuel pressure is a constant (sort of)). Maybe you could remap to keep the injectors open slightly longer so you run rich, but there are a million other cheaper ways to run richer without remapping. Ex: You could buy an after market fpr and turn up the pressure that way. Or go from 180 injectors to 190. Either way there isn't much power to be gained unless your car is already bogged from running lean.
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

i understood that if i buy an after market fpr, the ECu would correct that :(
That is why i am thinking of getting my re-mapped !

On Mx3, what does the ECU control ?
If i get a real CAI, and then run richer ... cant i get more power ?
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

The ECU can only correct itself when it is listening to the O2 sensor, which it doesn't do at WOT.

A CAI won't make you run rich, but your car will run a little better and you won't have to make any air/fuel corrections.
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

So let's see if i got this straight:
at Wide Open Throttle , the ECu will not make my WHP go down, if i put these aftermarket part's :

A real CAI, get my throttle body butterfly polished and a fuel pressure regulator ??

I allways thought that if i played with these part's, the ECU would just correct the changes and my car would behave the same way.
So if i change these part's, adjust the AIR/FUEL mixture ... the only changes the ECU will make is at medium throttle ? IF i step the gas pedal, the ECU will not need to get remapped ?
:roll:
Devan

Post by Devan »

No matter what throttle your that 1/8 th or Full ... (with a working O2 sensor) ... the ecu will make any nessary changes.

Adding a intake ... the same idea (working O2 sensor) the ecu will make the changes itsself ...

Really the only time you need to worry about re mapping would be when your boosting ....

Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong here .. but i think the above info is right ...
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

is this right ? I am sorry but i cant understand ... OMG i cant understand ...
If i put a CAI and raise the fuel pressure ... will i get any gains ?
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

OutlaW wrote:So let's see if i got this straight:
at Wide Open Throttle , the ECu will not make my WHP go down, if i put these aftermarket part's :

A real CAI, get my throttle body butterfly polished and a fuel pressure regulator ??
You need to read a book on how cars work. Mark Warner and Corky Bell have some good stuff, but seriously you could start with How Stuff Works and learn something.

At wide open throttle the car is supposed to run a little rich, I don't understand why you want to run any richer. Cars are most efficient at a specific air/fuel ratio, cars are designed to run at that ratio meaning there is little reason to toy with the ratio itself. Running rich (slightly) can squeeze out a few more hp as the gas will absorb heat making the engine cooler (slightly) and you'll achieve a better burn. Run too rich and you'll lose hp as that gas is taking up space (it's absorbing heat, not making power). It will also start leaving deposits, clog stuff, wash the cylinder walls, give you crappy mpg, etc. As for what you are trying to do.

Adding a CAI adds a pony or two by making your intake less restrictive. Less resistance means more air in the engine, more air means more power. Our cars have air meters so it adds extra fuel accordingly, nothing has to be done, it's plug and play.
Polishing the butterfly won't do anything worthwhile. Clean the tb yourself, polish it if you want. whatever.
An fpr really is only used if you are changing your injector size. You could use it to run rich I guess, but I wouldn't. Chances are if you turn up the pressure anymore than it is your wot power will probably suffer.

In case you didn't read all that (or didn't comprehend), buy a cai and be happy with it.
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

mr1in6billion wrote: You need to read a book on how cars work. Mark Warner and Corky Bell have some good stuff, but seriously you could start with How Stuff Works and learn something.
At wide open throttle the car is supposed to run a little rich, I don't understand why you want to run any richer. Cars are most efficient at a specific air/fuel ratio, cars are designed to run at that ratio meaning there is little reason to toy with the ratio itself. Running rich (slightly) can squeeze out a few more hp as the gas will absorb heat making the engine cooler (slightly) and you'll achieve a better burn. Run too rich and you'll lose hp as that gas is taking up space (it's absorbing heat, not making power). It will also start leaving deposits, clog stuff, wash the cylinder walls, give you crappy mpg, etc. As for what you are trying to do.
Adding a CAI adds a pony or two by making your intake less restrictive. Less resistance means more air in the engine, more air means more power. Our cars have air meters so it adds extra fuel accordingly, nothing has to be done, it's plug and play.
Polishing the butterfly won't do anything worthwhile. Clean the tb yourself, polish it if you want. whatever.
An fpr really is only used if you are changing your injector size. You could use it to run rich I guess, but I wouldn't. Chances are if you turn up the pressure anymore than it is your wot power will probably suffer.
In case you didn't read all that (or didn't comprehend), buy a cai and be happy with it.
Well, mr1in6billion first off al thanks for the info.
second, let me tell you this :
I do really need to get some auto-courses, but not because air/fuel ratio's and WOT situations. It's to get myself educated ;)
I dont think that it is anything to brag about, but i want to tell you this because it's a fact. In 2004, i had a major car crash. I had that crash while doing street-racing and i learned my lesson. But i was in a car, that has LESS stock horsepower than the MX3, less engine ( a 1600cc )and less aerodinamics. In the end, that car would get an MX3 so much whipped , but so much... you couldnt believe your eyes .It was a Citroen Saxo Cup . The car's you guys race in the States and Canada , i would annihilate with a much cheaper car than our MX3. And 70% of the work done ... was with or made for myself. Only the electronics and the air intake was made 100% by my mechanic.

I am making sure to get 100% sureness about the ECU on this car, because it is different than a Magnetti Marelli the Saxo had.
And since i read a while ago in this forum that the ECU would become too smart when you change intake and fuel pressure , i need to be sure off that.
I do know how a car works, you go the gas station, spend some money , put some liquid inside and then you turn the key ;) ;) ( in my case, turn the key and then press the button ;) )
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

But i was in a car, that has LESS stock horsepower than the MX3, less engine ( a 1600cc )and less aerodinamics. In the end, that car would get an MX3 so much whipped , but so much... you couldnt believe your eyes .It was a Citroen Saxo Cup .
I could see a stock 1.6 keeping up with the mx3's 1.8, shorter gears in a lighter car can easily make that happen, but if a stock 1.6 would annihilate your mx, then there is something wrong with your car. If the 1.6 is modded, then of course it is faster, it's modded.
I am making sure to get 100% sureness about the ECU on this car, because it is different than a Magnetti Marelli the Saxo had.
Aside from the advanced controls present in newer cars the job of ecu's and how they work really hasen't changed.[/quote]
Xtremethings

Post by Xtremethings »

OutlaW wrote:Hi guys just a small question:

Can the K8 ECU ce re-mapped from the diagnosis box ?
I mean, can it be re-mapped at all ?
If i get more pressure on the fuel, wont i need to re-map the ECu in order to get more air ? And maybe get a CAI ?
I won't be rude in answering you. Yes the ECU can be re-mapped and I do understand what you are asking even though you may have said getting more air when you are actually speaking of adjusting the Fuel/Air ratio to overcome the additional fuel pressure. And later in this thread you speak of ECU's getting smart on changes. This is correct to an extent. The ECU takes in information from the O2 sensor, air sensor, temp sensor, crank sensor and others to determine the best running conditions. Based on those inputs it determines the fuel mapping to the injectors for the best fuel/air ratio as predetermined by the EEPROM chip in the computer.

If you change your FPR and it does make your mixture richer to the point that the ECU cannot adjust within the parameters then you would probably need to re-map the computer. I will give Mr. Million a thumbs up for the bit of info about the fuel to air mixture. He is right that you need to stay within the recommended air/fuel mixture range of 14.7:1. You can richen it out a point or two for a bit more hp and less efficiency but if you stray far beyond this then you begin to loose one way or another. Lean mixtures are very damaging to your engine. It will crystalize your CAT if you have one and it can cause severe damage to your pistons. Rich mixtures aren't good either because they can foul your O2 sensor causing incorrect readings. If it becomes fouled then it will try to lean out your F/A mix because it isn't seeing enough O2 in the exhaust. And of course you will then have the famed CEL light that everybody hates!
That is just my two cents worth - but what can you buy for two cents these days anyway?
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Can it be remapped? Yes
Do you need it remapped? probably not, put your true CAI on, reset the ecu, drive round for a bit, hook it up to an A/F ratio meter to check, i betcha everything will be hunky dory. The ecu is programmed to allow for lots of naturally occuring conditions, cold climates to hot climates, i'm sure your CAI is well within its capabilities :wink:
If not, THEN start looking at your options, whether it's remapping the ecu or using add-ons like AFC's and FPR's
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Xtremethings wrote:Image
Did you seriously have to bump a long dead post that has been completely answered? Please read the dates on posts.
Xtremethings

Post by Xtremethings »

mr1in6billion wrote:
Did you seriously have to bump a long dead post that has been completely answered? Please read the dates on posts.
I guess there is always somebody who is extremely rude on every forum because you have nothing else better to do with your time then be rude. You were more than rude enough with your response to the thread and now here you go again showing your true colors. Must be sad to live a life where you feel so intimidated by others that you feel the need to ridicule.
That is just my two cents worth - but what can you buy for two cents these days anyway?
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Xtremethings wrote:
mr1in6billion wrote:
I guess there is always somebody who is extremely rude on every forum because you have nothing else better to do with your time then be rude. You were more than rude enough with your response to the thread and now here you go again showing your true colors. Must be sad to live a life where you feel so intimidated by others that you feel the need to ridicule.
lmao. Intimidated? Not in the slightest. Somebody has to keep the newbies in line and keep old threads in the gutter, and seeing as how Lakers has run off drive tanks and blow things up someone has to fill his shoes. I can only hope one day i'll be as rude as he.

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”