fix and powdercoat TSW 17" razors?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)

Should I powdercoat these rims a gunmetal gloss color?

yes and fix that rim!
58%
no, fix the rim and leave them ghost chrome
33%
no, fix the rim and sell them because they are ugly
8%
no and don't fix the rim and just install them on the slow car
No votes

Total votes: 12

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

fix and powdercoat TSW 17" razors?

Post by Mooneggs »

I know xavier had a similar poll for his rims... but I am undecided on my set also... Please vote and post advice! thanks!

History of rims:

I bought them looking for a rim with only 4 lugs instead of a universal 8 lug pattern (I think it looks cleaner). I also knew I wanted an 8 spoke rim.

I have had these rims for 3 or so years now. I recently had the front 2 rims redone (rockchips and such from daily driving). I had never hit a curb or anything with these rims until I lost control on a wintry freezing cold night last december... going about 80 on a turn with no tread on rear tires...yeah I'm an idiot I know... anyways I hit the curb doing almost 60 with the steering wheel cut all the way to the right so I'm lucky not more damage was done (and I didn't wreck the car).

The other 3 rims are in perfect shape - they just need a recoating of something from daily driving wear and tear.

There is a local guy in memphis that does powdercoating (http://www.rickspowdercoating.com/)for a decent price.

Here's some pics of the rims on the fast car and the rim damage...
[/img]
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Looks like your car needs a re-paint more than the rims do.

Definitely fix the curb damage. There's enough shaved off to possibly throw the wheel off-balance. Is the rim bent in any way or is it just chipped?

I wouldn't worry about re-coating the rims, unless the rest of your car can match it.
hharb

Post by hharb »

if the rim is actually working fine i'd leave it like that, and maybe depending on the cost powdercoating could be a good idea, but if you powdercoat it u might as well choose a colour to match your car
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

keep in mind my car is primer black and it will be staying that way for at least a couple more years (until I get a garage to store it in). That's why I was going to go with a gunmetal color...
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

Hey...I think those rims look good on your mx, but I think a gunmetal would look great and go well with your overall flat black / primer black and carbon fiber theme. Three years on the same rims is not too bad, I have been running the same fittipaldi avus+ rims for like 5 years now on my mx3 :lol:
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Mooneggs wrote:keep in mind my car is primer black and it will be staying that way for at least a couple more years (until I get a garage to store it in). That's why I was going to go with a gunmetal color...
If it's gonna be parked outside, wouldn't it be better for the car body protection to have it properly painted, instead of just primed?
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Whisper wrote:If it's gonna be parked outside, wouldn't it be better for the car body protection to have it properly painted, instead of just primed?
probably... I figure 30 bucks and 8 hours every 6-8 months isn't too bad to keep it looking the same... I just re-prime it when it fades, then it goes back to being super smooth and dark...

My question is: is just having my car primered damaging anything? Like the metal underneath? I know that primer is much more porous as it soaks up water and dries very quickly... but does that hurt anything?
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Mark, you can use body filler to fix curbings and sand it down then paint.
Thats how we fixed your buddies mustang wheels at Waynes shop. (the triple white mustang)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

yeah I thought about that but will it stand up to the heat of powdercoating?
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

why dont' you have them painted Gunmetal and clearcoat them ... I purchased my BSA wheels black and used a mazda color and painted them silver then cleared them twice

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

yeah I had thought of just painting... but won't powdercoating stand up better to rock chips and such?
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I still haven't decided... if you have any thoughts I would appreciate it...
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Keep em, mine are powdercoated gunmetal with polished lip:

I like those rims that u have
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Mooneggs. Just curious to know what you would call your RS if you had one, considering that your K8 is "slow car"? :wink:
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

umcamara wrote:Mooneggs. Just curious to know what you would call your RS if you had one, considering that your K8 is "slow car"? :wink:
This is a good question and I have caught myself pondering about this at times... (late at night staring at the stars) :o

My first MX-3 was a 94 GS auto SO that would be considered my Super Slow Car. So now we come to the RS question. I can never keep those motors straight but there are 2 types correct? Like a 110hp and an 88hp? So the 110 hp would be called the Ridiculously Super Slow Car and the 88hp would be the Ridiculously Retarded Super Slow Car. It's a good thing I don't have an RS because I would hate to have to type all that name out every time. :wink: :roll:

I guess I could just make it short too by saying "Retarded Slow" = RS :D

Return to “Appearance”