Slap competition june 2nd

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
chew*

Slap competition june 2nd

Post by chew* »

Another competition coming up saturday june 2nd. I've been tweaking here and there gaining a little bit at a time. This time I have pushed my 2 amps to they're limits. The amps are rated stable to 1 ohm each and 2 ohm strapped together. I am now running them at 1/4 ohm strapped. They should be creating an enourmous amount of power now but only a meter will tell if its louder. Should have some results this coming weekend.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

You're running it at 8 times the rated power?!?! :shock: ?!?

Is that safe? They won't go into protection mode?
chew*

Post by chew* »

They will clip if to much volume is used. No it's not safe and the amp could potentially catch on fire but I only need it to play for 3 seconds.

No clue how much power they will create but if you do the math at strapped 1ohm they should do somewhere in theory the range of 3000-4000 watts. No clue what strapped 1/4 ohm puts out. Also the thing to remember is each time you drop them down they create more distortion or THD which takes away from the usable volume.

Relistically they will not quadruple they're power as the components inside the amp will reach an electrical current limit etc need to supply power to make power. However they are putting out far more than they were originally rated or intended to do.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

chew* wrote: Also the thing to remember is each time you drop them down they create more distortion or THD which takes away from the usable volume.
As if it matters in the bass frequencies. You've got to get above 10% THD in the bass frequencies to really discern any distortion on source material where the highs are undistorted.
chew*

Post by chew* »

lakersfan1 wrote:
chew* wrote: Also the thing to remember is each time you drop them down they create more distortion or THD which takes away from the usable volume.
As if it matters in the bass frequencies. You've got to get above 10% THD in the bass frequencies to really discern any distortion on source material where the highs are undistorted.
Yes but it needs to be taken into consideration when running well over 4000 watts to a sub rated for 1000 watts. Power is not a subs #1 enemy, distortion however is although I may not hear it the sub will definitely let me know when it starts to smell like burnt clutch.
chew*

Post by chew* »

Well I went to the show and took my car and the wife's, got 2 1st places.

Wifes car hit 144db with 1 12" pioneer premier sub at the dash on the AC 190 meter ( audio control ) in the pro stock class ( the car is sponsored )

My mx-3 hit 151.1db with My single 15" mojo at the dash with the AC 190 meter in the Super Stock 1 class.

Little tweaks are paying off, its almost time to shove my 2 2500 watt kickers in but just have a few more tricks up my sleeve.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Congrats on the 150 mark.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”