Is it hard to change an oil pump?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
robbo604

Is it hard to change an oil pump?

Post by robbo604 »

Ive got really low oil pressure and as in a previous post its really tappety and knocks if i rev it.May well be an oil pump? If so is it hard or expensive?
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I would try to shim the pump before you think about replacing. Go over to probetalk and search for "oil pump shim" there are quit a few posts on it.

If you dont want to go that route, and just want to replace. I would consider replacing the oil pump a big job. You will have to drop the oil pan, remove the timing belt, than unbolt the pump itself which is keyed to the crank. Read through the online manual for more detailed instructions and pictures.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
robbo604

Post by robbo604 »

oh mate,this is all i need!

What else can cause low oil pressure?
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Do you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge? How do you know you have low oil pressure? Can you further explain what problems you are having with your car. What oil filter do you use? I have an aftermarket gauge and when i switched from an stp filter to bosch, i experienced a 10psi increase in pressure across the board.

Nate
robbo604

Post by robbo604 »

no gauge mate, just the knocking and tappets ,oh and if i remove the dip stick the revs drop.Weird???
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

its normal to drop revs if you remove the oil dip stick. Tapping is quite normal for these engines, specially if high milleage. I dont think there i need for you to change it. If all else fails.. you can swao with a klde or klze. I hear shimming the oil pump is a good mod to do. After I vented my pcv to atmosphere my car will not drops revs or stall when i take off the oil cap.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
robbo604

Post by robbo604 »

hgallegos915 wrote:its normal to drop revs if you remove the oil dip stick. Tapping is quite normal for these engines, specially if high milleage. I dont think there i need for you to change it. If all else fails.. you can swao with a klde or klze. I hear shimming the oil pump is a good mod to do. After I vented my pcv to atmosphere my car will not drops revs or stall when i take off the oil cap.
What u mean by shimming it.This sounds as much work as replacing and what are the benefits?

What you mean vented your pcv?
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

As i already stated, go to probetalk.com and search the search for "oil pump shim" it will explain everything. Really is a very easy mod. Long story short all you are doing is shimming a spring 3mm and by doing this you will increase your oil pressure.

Nate
robbo604

Post by robbo604 »

cheers. Ive read up but cant find a how too.Any links to direct me bro? cheers.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

robbo604

Post by robbo604 »

cheers nice one.pics have gone out of date and cant pull up but info really helps.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

I think your problem is not low oil pressure. If you're convinced it's that, it get real numbers with an oil pressure gauge.
Other than that, sounds like the regular hla ticking sound and/or friction gear spring. Typical with these engines

For you original question, changing an oil pump is quite long. Not too difficult if you know where you are going
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”