Who Here does autocross?

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Jdmtunedmx3
BANNED Member

Who Here does autocross?

Post by Jdmtunedmx3 »

I am just curious to who else auto cross's

What class are you ?

What is done to your car? I am looking for suggestions and advice on my setup . I want to stay in the street class. I was looking for Mazda speed parts and I cant find anything, SRD is out of business so I am kinda screwed thats why I am asking what you have done.

Thanks!
" It's not about whats on the outside. It's about whats on the inside. It's about your heart slowing down. It's about riding that line between good and idiot. Because the truth is, it anint a hobby."
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I do. SCCA SM class. Tons done to the car, most of it in my signature. SM is so broad that I have a hard time competing, plus I'm still a Auto-X newb. I hope to be competetive by the end of the season.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I would love to particpate in autocross but I don't even know where to get started! I think it would be alot of fun! :mrgreen:

I've got most of the suspension upgrades you can do so I would probably fair pretty well I suppose. (I can drive pretty well too :driver: )

So how do you join or find out about events in your area...?
Jdmtunedmx3
BANNED Member

Post by Jdmtunedmx3 »

checkout different autocross forums like autocross.com or join the SCCA. What all do you have done to your car ?
" It's not about whats on the outside. It's about whats on the inside. It's about your heart slowing down. It's about riding that line between good and idiot. Because the truth is, it anint a hobby."
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

I'm in the club here in Saskatoon.

So far I've only been to one meet and I've had a lot of fun. My car is currently in the stock class but I'll be upgrading to SuperStock within the next few weeks.

I'd say the most important things are: Driving ability, Tires, and Suspension in that order.

I found out about our club by word of mouth, but I'm sure if you google the name of your city, and "autocross" or "solo2" You'll get some hits.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Look at SCCA or NASA's sites. They will have a group in your area. Joining is easy and cheap. I have made a few friends already and everyone seems more than willing to help me understand how to drive a Auto-X track and how to set-up my car for it. I usually track race, but it is so much more expensive, so I decided to try auto-X. Glad I did b/c it is almost as fun. The difference is that on a track you get many laps in a row and the adrenaline is more. The cost is about 10x per weekend though so this is a good alternative for now.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

As soon as i get new tires and rims and control arm/bushings i'll be joining David (electric energy) here in saskatoon with a coupel toher guys. I can't wait to try it, one of the head dudes comes into my work to get metal all the time, and david works with another two.

It's not too competitive either, unless you make it to be. Mainely you just race yourself.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I've done autocross and it was lame. 8 hours of waiting for 4 minutes of driving - not worth it imo.

Although if you drag and don't mind waiting all day for a few seconds on the drag strip, you might enjoy autocross as well. The driving part is very fun.
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Ouch 8 hours.

I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes during my heat. On other heats I marshal to pass the time (usually about half an hour to and hour).
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

ElectricEnergy wrote:Ouch 8 hours.
Yeah, everyone and their mom was there. Maybe 200 people in line. Seems autoX events aren't very frequent around here, so whenever they go down, they get packed.

15 minutes of wait per run would be godlike.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Surely there is a NASA or SCCA club that is local. If so they should hold event just about one per month. NASA seems to be more track oriented and SCCA more auto-X. SCCA does do track events, but they are much fewer than NASA. I cannot imagine that they would have so few events with such obvious interest to draw 200 people.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Is the weather is nice like it's suppose to be, I'm going autocrossing Saturday. I'm quite excited to go, I've been twice back at home in Canada, but this will be my first time doing it in the US. I'll should be good fun (it's been great fun the other times i've done it), and hopefully meet some people and make some local friends. Looking forward to it
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

Been autoxing since 2000. My ever growing list of mods...

1990 Protege LX
Solo2 SCCA Autox
Class: SM (Street Modified)
Car Number: 98
Region: CSCC Los Angeles, CA [California Sports Car Club]

Engine/Drivetrain:
1993 JDM 2.5L V6 KLZE [curvered neck]
1993 MX3 GS Engine Harness
MegaSquirt n Spark ECM
MX3 GS Poly Filled Motor Mounts
AWR Poly Front Mount
1994 Probe GT 5sp Transmission
Mazdaspeed Protege OEM LSD
MX3 GS Flywheel
ACT Clutch
Technafit SS Braided Clutch Line
MX3 GS Axles
MX3 GS Lower Control Arms
ProbeGT Intermediate Shaft
626/MX6 5th Gear Swap
MX3 GS Shifter Linkage
MX3 GS Crossmember
Kartboy Short Shifter
Maz1.8T Nyloil Shifter/Stabilizer Rod Bushings
Custom Intake w/PRM Air Filter
SS AutoChrome Headers
Custom 2.5" Magnaflow Exhaust
CarSound Cat. Converter / Race Pipe

Suspension/Brakes:
Dynamic Racing Suspension Coilovers built for Ford Racing [adjustable and inverted]
Hypercoil Race Springs 550#/350#
OEM GTX Front Strut Bar
Autotech Rear Strut Bar
Cusco Camber Plates F+R
Energy Suspension Polyurethane Full Suspension Bushing Kit
1999 Ford ZX2 25.4mm Front Sway Bar
Quickor 25.4mm Rear Sway Bar
MazdaRacer Motorsports Custom Lower Tie Bars [Front and Rear]
1999 Ford ZX2 Front Subframe w/brace
MX3 GS Steering Rack [converted to manual]
Brembo Slotted/Xdimpled Front Rotors
Brembo Slotted Rear Rotors
Hawk HP+ Brake Pads
Technafit SS Brake Lines
Kosei K1 Racing Wheels 15x7 38mm offset
Falken Azenis 205/50/15
Kosei K1-TS Racing Wheels 15x7 38mm offset
Kumho V710 205/50/15

Interior/Exterior:
JDM 323 GTX Front Bumper
JDM Familia Rear Bumper
E-spec Square Foglight Grille
1992 Mazda MX3 Front Seats
2002 Protege5 Steering Wheel
G-Force 5pt Racing Harness
323 JDM Bolt-in Rollcage w/Harness Bar Added
Stage 1 Weight Reduction
1992+ Tail Lamps
Ebreuni Rear Spoiler
Mazdaspeed Weighted Leather Shift Knob
Ryken Pedals
Euro Roof Mount Antenna
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
1990 BG8P Protege LX - KLZE - Race Preped - #98 SM - SCCA Solo2
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Just did it this past Sunday, check it out!

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=59738
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Whisper wrote:I've done autocross and it was lame. 8 hours of waiting for 4 minutes of driving - not worth it imo.
I've never seen 8 hour waits. SCCA Chicago was the busiest I ever saw with like 300 cars, but the wait was nowhere near 8 hours. Most Autocross I've been to you get a run like every hour and get out by late-lunch. Those are usually the non-SCCA meets, though. Chicago had a bunch of regional racing clubs like Windy City Miata and Midwest Council that I was always welcome to race at with 40-60 car fields. SCCA are ridiculously crowded in major metro cities.

I MUCH prefer high speed lapping days at a real road course however. Not sure how long it'd take you to get to Green Bay WI (according to Mapquest there's some ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee) but there's a cool road course track up there that Fox Valley Racing Club (I think that's right) uses that only runs about $70 for a high speed lapping day. I got 4 track times, at 20 minutes each time. All you need is to have seatbelts, and wear a Snell 95 helmet.

Here in Seattle, all I can find is like $200 a day rates and they require you to take one or two prerquisite driving schools at $150 a pop to qualify to drive HPDE day. Bull crap.

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”