1.8 engine problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
reinellchris

1.8 engine problem

Post by reinellchris »

hi there
i have a 96 mx-3 1.8 with a 5 sp trans.the problem all started about a month ago.car was hard to start seemed like it was flooding out.replaced plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuel filter.pulled front of the engine apart and checked timing belt.did a compression test.took it in for a diagnostic and the code reader would not talk to the ecm.they tried jumping the terminals and the ecm still wouldn't diagnose so i replaced ecm.i can get it to idle fairly smooth very small miss.if you give it throttle really slow it will rev up
but if you spike the throttle it craps.miss fires pops throu the throttle body
it's not good.the fuel preasure is good.any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
thx reinellchris
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I would try pulling a spark plug and leaving it plugged into the wire, than have somebody get in and rev the motor and verify a good spark under load. Try this for all cylinder to ensure good spark. From everything you have tried, i am thinking its something with your disty. You could try to verify by doing what i mentioned above, or try swapping out another disty to see if that makes any difference.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

When you checked the timing belt.. did you check the tensioner to make sure its keeping the belt tight?

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
reinellchris

Post by reinellchris »

thank you for the replies
the tensioner is good the second time i changed the timing belt a month later the tensioner went.all idlers and the tensioner have been replaced.
car does have 244,000 k on it.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

What were your compression test numbers?

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

reinellchris

Post by reinellchris »

140 on 4 cylinders and 130 on two
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

That is getting a little down there.. stock is 180. How does the engine run other than when you goose the throttle? Smooth? Decent power? Or does it hesitate or idle rough?

I am starting to agree that its probably the distributor or the ignitor module. Though rather than pulling a spark plug and watching it flash.. I would hook up a inductive timing light to each spark plug wire.. one at a time of course. Goose the engine (rev it up) while watching the light flash on each plug wire.. if the light stays nice and even.. no obvious misses.. you can likely eliminate the distributor as the problem. But if you see any missed flashes from any plug wire.. replace the plug wire and recheck.. if you get the same result.. its probably the distributor. When saying its the distributor.. we are saying its either the coil or the ignition module within the distributor thats bad (or going bad)

Hope this helps.

Tunes67

reinellchris

Post by reinellchris »

it does have new wires ngk,s
it idles pretty nice and if i get into the throttle very slow it runs like a champ.any more throttle and it misses and farts with no increase in rpm.s
if it was old school i'd have to say it was timing.
thanks again for the help
i'll try the dittsy
reinellchris

Post by reinellchris »

replaced the distributor and low and behold problem solved
many thanks for the help LOVE YOU GUYS
thanks again and have a great day
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Aha, another innitiation. :twisted:
Cody
MX3_TURBO