I wonder how much a N/A ZE can do with RSX pistons...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

I wonder how much a N/A ZE can do with RSX pistons...

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I dont know if you guys heard of them
mx6gt04 at ProbeTalk.com also know as Rebel2k on this website and I forgot the other dude's name but they were able to get 350ZX pistons to fit in a KL block that was bored out to 2.7L along with Mustang H Beam piston rods.

In other words, they had a setup that was pretty bullet proof and REALY REALLY cheap compared to buying forged pistons for a KL engine

I think Rebel2k aka mx6gt04 was making about 405whp

Anyway, I remember they were once talking about RSX pistons fitting in a KL block aswell as Nissan 250SX... I dont know what it was called. 320ZX, 360ZX... whatever.
All I know is that it had high comp pistons

Im just wondering, what do you guys think a KLZE with RSX or Nissan Whatever ZX or SX... what kind of power do you guys think the KL can make out of these pistons?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

changin psitons wont really gain u power unless ur goin higher compression then maybe up to like 5hp.. but u can get light pistons then stock im sure which will help it rev more free and quicker.. and possibly have better oiling to the cylinders..

all motor if u change the pistons and go higher compression u would only gain like 5hp

boosted only makes it more reliable to hold the power
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

fieromx3 wrote:changin psitons wont really gain u power unless ur goin higher compression then maybe up to like 5hp.. but u can get light pistons then stock im sure which will help it rev more free and quicker.. and possibly have better oiling to the cylinders..

all motor if u change the pistons and go higher compression u would only gain like 5hp

hmm
Yeah but then again, the RSX pistons and Nissan Pistons are higher comp then the KLZE pistons

We all know that 9:1 (KLDE) to 10:1 (KLZE) made somewhat of a difference. then again, the KLZE did have a better flowing I/M and heads.

Yeah your right, it would be better to just concertrate on getting pistons that can take on alot of boost instead of trying to build something N/A
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

why not get some real high compression pistons and make the first mx3 turbo diesel, with some big 4'' side pipes, that would be a torque machine :shock:
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

ryan_Fuerte wrote:why not get some real high compression pistons and make the first mx3 turbo diesel, with some big 4'' side pipes, that would be a torque machine :shock:
sounds like something out of
doctor seuss
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:
fieromx3 wrote:changin psitons wont really gain u power unless ur goin higher compression then maybe up to like 5hp.. but u can get light pistons then stock im sure which will help it rev more free and quicker.. and possibly have better oiling to the cylinders..

hmm
Yeah but then again, the RSX pistons and Nissan Pistons are higher comp then the KLZE pistons

We all know that 9:1 (KLDE) to 10:1 (KLZE) made somewhat of a difference. then again, the KLZE did have a better flowing I/M and heads.

Yeah your right, it would be better to just concertrate on getting pistons that can take on alot of boost instead of trying to build something N/A
the 40more hp from the ze is mostly because of the intake manifold and heads. the kl31 cams help out a bit as well. the high compression doesn't do much more than about 5hp, but when you got better flowing heads, intake manifold and more aggresive cams, the high compression will work together with it all.

All those people on probetalk with this setup have built them to handle lots of boost...If thats what you want to do then by all meass go ahead. if N/A don't bother, just build the hell out of the heads
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

So to get almost KLZE performance, I could get a DE here in Norway, and swap ZE heads and IM onto the DE block?

That would be a nice solution I think.

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

nope-mx3 wrote:So to get almost KLZE performance, I could get a DE here in Norway, and swap ZE heads and IM onto the DE block?

That would be a nice solution I think.

-n
yes you will get almost the same power from it, just will be a few points short of compression. The higher compression will help with the different cams and more flow. it all works together pretty much.
When I blew up my first ze i had plans to swap the heads, cams and manifold on a de and just have basically a lower compression ze, but never bothered too. Just swapping the manifold alone you will notice a decent amount of power.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Well I have Rebel2k's old motor 2.7 liter (2.66 exact)

I ended up switching out the 300ZX TT pistons to some 300zx N/A pistons...still completely stock parts, and that alone bumped my compression to a 12:1 and i put some ZE heads on it with a set of 218 Colt Race cams, along with a curve neck mandifold and a bord out 67mm TB.

So that will be a nice setup for all-motor i think. And really cheap. for 8 N/A pistons i only paid $40 Shipped and that included the rods..lol.

PS. I have seen people boost on these pistons. they are strong and can handle alot of power...with proper tuning of course.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Slammed6 wrote:Well I have Rebel2k's old motor 2.7 liter (2.66 exact)

I ended up switching out the 300ZX TT pistons to some 300zx N/A pistons...still completely stock parts, and that alone bumped my compression to a 12:1 and i put some ZE heads on it with a set of 218 Colt Race cams, along with a curve neck mandifold and a bord out 67mm TB.

So that will be a nice setup for all-motor i think. And really cheap. for 8 N/A pistons i only paid $40 Shipped and that included the rods..lol.

PS. I have seen people boost on these pistons. they are strong and can handle alot of power...with proper tuning of course.
Wow that is awesome.
If only we could somehow get aftermarket heads and Intake Manifolds that were made for performance that would be sweet. Aswell as cams.

Anyway, that sounds like something I would like to do sometime in the future

Question for everyone
I know there arent any aftermarket heads and cams for our KL engines. What about cams?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
MX3parkerGS

Post by MX3parkerGS »

to the best of my knowledge,no

my knowledge being ive looked numerous times and no go.

Parker
'94 White MX-3 GS. Engine bay empty and waiting for the 2.5DE.

Completly stock, at this time.

Parker
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:
Question for everyone
I know there arent any aftermarket heads and cams for our KL engines. What about cams?
interprep, colt and mike seli
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I dont know much about cams at all but from what I know, they can change the way the sound of the exhaust and add more power

If only we could get aftermarket heads made. I think I once seen a custom made I/M espically made for Forced Induction with no VIRS.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

when manufacturers make performance heads for cars they dont actually ''make the head'' they just do heavy porting on them and will sometimes assemble it with better valves, springs and retainers and s--- and all that stuff is already available for our engines.. custom IM isnt that hard to make either and yes there was a cupple prototypes IM for us to.. cams can give u some extra power but there mainly used to raise ur power band allowing u to keeo revving higher in the rpm without the power dropping off
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Slammed6 wrote:Well I have Rebel2k's old motor 2.7 liter (2.66 exact)

I ended up switching out the 300ZX TT pistons to some 300zx N/A pistons...still completely stock parts, and that alone bumped my compression to a 12:1
What was done to it to get it to 2.66? Do yo know how much it was bored over to fit the 300x pistons? I'm guessing at that point it's now an interference engine?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”