Loud tick :|

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MoRf

Loud tick :|

Post by MoRf »

i just finished my CAI and went for a short but spirited :wink: drive and when i got home i noticed a loud ticking sound from cylinder 3.
im not sure but im thinking broken valve spring ? , or i just looked at a post about the timing on a klze causing a tick but my engine is a k8. but there almost the same right ?

this sucks cuz im broke :cry: i have a whole extra k8 tho. so maby i could just swap the head ? unless thats insanely hard (i have to do this in my drive way). any help or idea's would be appreciated, and i absoultly cannot afford to take this to a mechanic lol
mmmx3

Post by mmmx3 »

How do you know it's from Cylinder 3? Does it have any ticking noise before you went for that drive? How many miles on your motor now?
ken
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

the odds are its not a valve sprong, its most likly your hydraulic lifters, try changing your oil and it might go away.
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Check the oil level too. Low oil levels will cause a loud ticking. However, low or old oil usually makes the whole valve train tick loudly.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

PATDIESEL wrote:Check the oil level too. Low oil levels will cause a loud ticking. However, low or old oil usually makes the whole valve train tick loudly.
yikes i was a lil low on oil , so i changed the oil and replaced the filter.
guess i have a bad ring tho as i seem to be burning quite a bit of oil.
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

yah... oil mysteriously disappering is one problem these cars tend to have. But oil is cheap lol
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

MoRf

Post by MoRf »

ryan_Fuerte wrote:yah... oil mysteriously disappering is one problem these cars tend to have. But oil is cheap lol
:) yes it is so im gonna keep running it hard :wink: until it pop's then ill prolly just get a KL-de since there only about 200$ here
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

hahah good luck with that. The 1.8L i had, was burning around like 2 L of oil a week, it was crazy and that engine just didnt want do die. When i pulled it out, it still had 180psi comp right on all 6 cyl. It was in mint shape, other thatn the oil loss

neutral
Supporting Member

Re: Loud tick :|

Post by neutral »

MoRf wrote:i just finished my CAI and went for a short but spirited :wink: drive and when i got home i noticed a loud ticking sound from cylinder 3.
im not sure but im thinking broken valve spring ? , or i just looked at a post about the timing on a klze causing a tick but my engine is a k8. but there almost the same right ?

this sucks cuz im broke :cry: i have a whole extra k8 tho. so maby i could just swap the head ? unless thats insanely hard (i have to do this in my drive way). any help or idea's would be appreciated, and i absoultly cannot afford to take this to a mechanic lol
Right, worn timing tensioner can also produce similar ticking sound as HLA's, as can carbon deposits. A seafoam treatment can help clean up carbon deposits. Inexpensive mech's stethoscope can help pinpoint the location of the tick. If you definitely hear it from the #3 cyl area, may not be a bad timing tensioner as that would be closer to the #1 or #2 cylinder positions. Worn valve guides can cause valvetrain noise due to excessive valve guide clearance and excessive oil consumption can be due to worn valve seals, stems, or guides and not necessarily related to worn piston rings.
Image -Jim

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”