TIP: HOW TO MAKE YOUR WIPER COWL LOOK LIKE NEW!

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
jrors
Supporting Member

TIP: HOW TO MAKE YOUR WIPER COWL LOOK LIKE NEW!

Post by jrors »

Hello ladies and gents.

Notice that whenever you wash your wiper cowl and then, when it's dry, you apply various types of plastic and rubber shine products to it, and it still comes out looking dull, just like before you washed it? Well, if your answer is yes, then, I have a good solution to your problem.
It does take some time, this process that I'm about to tell you about... but, it worked for me, and my wiper cowl is looking like new, jet black, and with a decent shine to boot.

This is what you'll need:

1) A used tooth brush
2) A small cup, filled with a good amount off dish washing liquid and hot water
3) Your favorite brand of car plastic and rubber shine spray, ( I use Blackmagic rubber and plastic shine).
4) Paper towels

First start by dipping the tooth brush in your water and soap mix repeatedly during this process, and then start scrubbing away at your wiper cowl, making sure you don't miss a spot, and it will help to raise your hood to scrub the parts of the wiper cowl that are hard to reach with the hood down. Now make sure to take your time down this.... you want to scrub your wiper cowl completely and thourghly... this is the key here guys!
Now once your wiper cowl is scrubbed to your satisfaction, wash it off completely, and then once dry, apply a heavy amount of your favorite car plastic and rubber shine spray to your wiper cowl and massage it in with a paper towel. You might not see the result in your first coat of spray when it drys, so do it again the same way and for good measure, again if you like.
You'll really like the result from this process, and though albeit, it is a little tedious.... trust me, you will like the end result!

And also, I highly do recommend the Black Magic rubber and plastic shine spray bottle.

And also guys, I did this same process on the ashtray lid and the wiper arms, (both were heavily faded) and I got the same awesome results!

Hit me up when you guys get a chance to do this process!
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

I just use a little bit of mothers brand "back to black" and that usually does the trick for a month or so. I use it on my rain gaurds and sun roof deflector also, works really well
racer3v
Supporting Member

That worked

Post by racer3v »

Well it took me about 45 minutes but that did work so thank you for the tip.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I took mine off recently and sprayed it with some semi-gloss black plastic paint. Made by VHT, it works really well. I used some of the back-to-black on the scuff guards and ashtray cover and it worked pretty well, but will fade on exterior surfaces too quickly for me. I don't want to have to rework the coating every few months so a paint job was the option of choice for me. It is shiney like when you put plastic polish on it, but not too shiney that it is reflective. It didn't sand it and left the texture of the paint so that it has some texture. I also sanded the wiper arms down and painted them too, but with a coat of primer and used metal paint of course. It all looks like new now 8)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

PATDIESEL wrote:I took mine off recently and sprayed it with some semi-gloss black plastic paint. ...
Satin Black Trim Paint works nicely for this sort of application as well.
93 GS SE
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Satin and semi-gloss are very close and often just a different name for the same thing ;)
However, you are right. The satin would be closer to the stock plastic sheen. As satin is supposed to be more like flat paint, but with a tad of shine, where as semi gloss would be closer to gloss, but only a tad less shiney.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

If you want it to shine , they have a plastic product called Plastic renew, its used for motorcycle and ATV fenders , but if you want a cheaper method , that I believe works just as well take some mop and glow floor cleaner , the original one , don't get a scented kind, wipe in on wipe the excess off (paper towels work well for applying and wiping , use even coats in a strait line and only wipe in one direction) , let it dry and add another coat , it coats and protects the plastic ..

Kris -
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Thanks for the post, Ill move to the FAQ after we get some responses.
jrors
Supporting Member

Re: TIP: HOW TO MAKE YOUR WIPER COWL LOOK LIKE NEW!

Post by jrors »

Has anyone else tried this process as of late? Even though I only did it that one time last year, it still looks very well.
Kenzie

Re:

Post by Kenzie »

PATDIESEL wrote:I took mine off recently and sprayed it with some semi-gloss black plastic paint. Made by VHT, it works really well. I used some of the back-to-black on the scuff guards and ashtray cover and it worked pretty well, but will fade on exterior surfaces too quickly for me. I don't want to have to rework the coating every few months so a paint job was the option of choice for me. It is shiney like when you put plastic polish on it, but not too shiney that it is reflective. It didn't sand it and left the texture of the paint so that it has some texture. I also sanded the wiper arms down and painted them too, but with a coat of primer and used metal paint of course. It all looks like new now 8)
I did the same to mine only I used the Krylon Fusion plastic paint in a Satin finish and it worked great! Just be careful when popping out the plugs that cover the screws...if not you might scar the plastic or break one of the clips that holds them in. Also, if you've been using a polish or shine product previously you might want to wipe it down with some acetone to remove all the residue before painting
::'94 MX-3 GS::KLZE::
Stablo87

Post by Stablo87 »

kind of off topic, but i changed my rear wiper to a 28 inch.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Stablo87 wrote:kind of off topic, but i changed my rear wiper to a 28 inch.
yeah off topic for real... but how does it perform? can that wiper motor support that size? does it wipe at the same speed?
Stablo87

Post by Stablo87 »

It works just fine, I really didnt see a diff in speed.
markm

Post by markm »

thanks for the tip ! looks much better
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Glad to hear it worked for you Markm :)

Return to “Appearance”