mold front lip to stock urethane bumper? now with pics!!

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
ryan_Fuerte

mold front lip to stock urethane bumper? now with pics!!

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

Hey,

Im working on my front bumper, so far i have made some 4'' Light pods with fiberglass. I want to mold the front lip on at the same time. I know glass doesnt stick well on urethane same with bondo. Any one know what i would use? Im sort of thinking a plastic trim glue/ epoxy, then fill in the contour with bondoglass.

Any suggestions??
Last edited by ryan_Fuerte on April 6th, 2007, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Why? The first bump you hit the lip is going to seperate or tear if it is glued on well enough not to seperate. That is why it is a lip and not a low hanging bumper. So that the lip takes the damage and you can replace it more easily.
However, just to answer the question- If it were me I'd use some super epoxy. Look around at McMaster-Carr. They have a good selection. Then bondo-glass the cracks if any. (just like you said) Look fo an epoxy that dies with some flex to it so that a tap will not break it free.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
93-mx-3

Post by 93-mx-3 »

i used fiberglass resin(fiber hair) and then bondo....it works fine for me...just make sure that if u do that u sand the bumper a little bit first to scuff up the paint...
live life a quarter mile at a time.

life is about learning from your mistakes and not regreting them.
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

thanks for your help patdiesel, and 93-mx3. I have almost completed my front bumper modification. Heres a couple pictures of the progress.

-Ryan
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

93-mx-3

Post by 93-mx-3 »

haha..that front lip is similar to my setup...lol. nice.

ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

yah i know! i guess thats what happens when you hit a tire on the highway doin 110, you gotta modify it lol

ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

yah i know! i guess thats what happens when you hit a tire on the highway doin 110, you gotta modify it lol I wanna get some of those toyota corrolla rear skirts and give them a shot for the back bumper

-Ryan

93-mx-3

Post by 93-mx-3 »

corolla?

ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

yah the semi rear half skirts on the rear.

93-mx-3

Post by 93-mx-3 »

o ya..i always did like those..theyre nice..good idea man...

neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

ryan_Fuerte wrote:thanks for your help patdiesel, and 93-mx3. I have almost completed my front bumper modification. Heres a couple pictures of the progress.
Looks good. Can't wait to see the finished project w/paint. Post back w/pics when done. Should be sweet.
Image -Jim
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

here it is completed, molded lip, with 4'' fogs on a stock bumper. Now i just need to paint the rest of the car black lol

what you guys think of it??[/img]

PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

That looks sweet. Great job.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
93-mx-3

Post by 93-mx-3 »

nice man nice...i like it

Matt

Post by Matt »

Looks almost like the MP5 kit I think.
How hard was the civic light swap? I got a pair of lights just waiting until summer ish to get it done I think

Return to “Appearance”