Got a ka-klunk coming from the LF wheel area...

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
freyguy_412

Got a ka-klunk coming from the LF wheel area...

Post by freyguy_412 »

Yeah, like the subject says, something in my front suspension has apparently worked itself loose, or just worn out, and now I get a decent sounding clunk over bumps and a small clunk when starting out from a stop. It basically clunks over every size bump also, from speed bumps to tiny tar patch jobs in the middle of the road.

I know for a fact that it isn't anything on the macpearson strut. Replaced the strut and replaced the lowering springs with the old factory ones, and the ka-klunk remained.

I'm leaning towards the CV Joint (no tears in the boot I could find). I can't see a sway bar being obviously loose either. Grabbed ahold of the axle and managed to move it a small amount to and fro. I'm completely suspension challenged, but it made sense that the axle might move in and out of the tranny a small amount to allow for suspension travel, but I didn't think this should happen while the car isn't moving and isn't jacked up.

So, if anyone needs more details, let me know. But if anyone can confirm that this sounds like a CV Joint, I'm planning on getting a complete half shaft/CV assy from AutoZone and tearing it down sometime soon. Thanks for the help in advance guys!
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Axles usually make noise when they turn, not with suspension travel. I'd say it would be a upper strut mount, sway bar link, or lower ball joint making the noise. It seems easier , IMO, to replace all three instead of trying to figure out which is making the noise. At this age they are probably all bad or well on their way.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Worth also inspecting your motor mounts. My MX-6 was doing the ka-klunk thing last year under the same conditions you describe. What threw me for awhile and eventually clued me in to the cause was the way it would clunk once, every time I started from a stop. Turned out one of the lower engine mounts nearest the left wheel area had the rubber damping isolator completely broken free within its metal housing.
Image -Jim
buzzart

Same thing here... What could be this problem ??

Post by buzzart »

:D Well you know what ! i have the same thing right now. I have that klunk noise coming from my LF. I changed the whole stering knuckle with the new bearing, new lower ball joint,new tie rod end,new sway bar link and the only thing thats the oldest beside that is my shock its almost a year old. Also the sway bar itself that original from the car. So what do you guys think Could it be a manufacture problem from the shock or the say bar ???
lutos

Post by lutos »

prolly gonna be a wheel bearing, but check your wheel nuts, make sure none are loose
buzzart

Post by buzzart »

Well thanks for the tip. But i finally found that ka-klunk. it was that weird bracket that was on the shock on both side. I got it off now.everything is perfect and like a new. :2thumbsup:
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

buzzart wrote:Well thanks for the tip. But i finally found that ka-klunk. it was that weird bracket that was on the shock on both side. I got it off now.everything is perfect and like a new. :2thumbsup:

hold on a sec... what bracket??
buzzart

Post by buzzart »

It was like a peice a bracket that was holding with 2 bolts right on the shock (That was no use at all). So i just got it off now no more noise. I will try to get a pic to show you guys. 8)
buzzart

Post by buzzart »

It was like a peice a bracket that was holding with 2 bolts right on the shock (That was no use at all). So i just got it off now no more noise. I will try to get a pic to show you guys. 8)

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”