park neutral switch and reverse lights

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Napalm7629

park neutral switch and reverse lights

Post by Napalm7629 »

i am putting a new transmission in my 1994 1.6L. It was formerly an automatic and now I'm putting in a manual. I heard from a past post that the park neutral switch and reverse lights had to be rigged somehow. Does anyone know exactly how to do this? I haven't gotten the new pedals totally out of the "parts mx-3" yet but is there like some connectors or anything i should get with them? Any help would be appreciated.
Napalm7629
timexim

Post by timexim »

Not sure about the reverse lights but the park/neutral switch you refered to is the neutral safety switch. When pressing the pedal it hits it and allows the car to start. There may be a write up somewhere about how to hook it up.
Former sentra gxe owner. Proud new owner of a 92 MX-3 GS 5-speed.
BoOdOg
Supporting Member

Re: park neutral switch and reverse lights

Post by BoOdOg »

Napalm7629 wrote:i am putting a new transmission in my 1994 1.6L. It was formerly an automatic and now I'm putting in a manual. I heard from a past post that the park neutral switch and reverse lights had to be rigged somehow. Does anyone know exactly how to do this? I haven't gotten the new pedals totally out of the "parts mx-3" yet but is there like some connectors or anything i should get with them? Any help would be appreciated.

Ok I did this last year and here is what you need

For your reverse lights I am sure you know where the switch is coming out of the tranny you can cut the plug off and just use the two green wires and wire them to the red/green and black/yellow wire (these wires can be found coming from a large orange plug just before your battery tray) Once connected this will make your reverse lights work as they should normally.

Now for your netural safety this can be done two ways first the wires you looking for are blue/black and red/black (found in the same plug as your reverse wires)

Option 1 run wires from these 2 wires into the car into your clutch pedal. your clutch pedal will have a little plug at the top of it that two wires can connect to this would be for your neutral safety

Option 2 connect the red/black and blue/black wire together under the hood. Now this will prevent you have having a neutral safety so your car can be started in gear without the clutch in.

Either option would work however option 1 is the better choice.

The plug you'll find all these wires in is the one from your auto tranny harrness.

Also if you would of searched I posted this information last year after being unable to find it when i was doing mine lol
Napalm7629

Post by Napalm7629 »

thank you very much boodog, you were VERY helpful
Napalm7629

Return to “Transmissions”