running insane on cold start

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
boo-mx3

running insane on cold start

Post by boo-mx3 »

ok i have been searching all morning and have been reading for well over 2 hrs.....First i will give you my problem and then i will give you my diagnosis from my searches.... then if anyone thinks im right out to lunch PLEASE correct me.... i dont mind

PROBLEM:
in damp or cold weather when first started up in the morning, it starts hard and barely idles up to fast idle on initial crank. It smells very very rich, and shakes the crap out of the car like its almost only running on 3 cylinders, which i suspect it is. Here is the thing ,,, once i drive it for about 5-15 mins to get it at normal engine operating temp, it just goes away..

SOLUTION: (i hope anyway)
-Do the HEI mod, since this car has never had it done.
-Check spark at plugs and wires
-Replace Dist cap and rotor button

I am suspecting fuel isnt the problem as i can smell alot of un-burnt fuel when this happens.

If im out to lunch on this someone please set me straight, as i have to drive er 1800+ kms here in a couple wks
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

If it is hard starting in cold and damp whether i would do a tune up. Replace the disty cap and rotor. Check the resistance of your plug wires to make sure they are within spec, also check them for any signs of tears or cracks, especially on the part that clicks onto the plug wire and goes down into the head. Plug wires can be expensive so i would definatly check them out before purchasing. Check your plugs, most likely they will be black from the motor running poorly and the gas not properly being burnt off.

If the problem persists i would check your coolant level. If your coolant is low and its cold out, your iac may not be getting a reading off your coolant temp, telling the motor to idle high until it warms up. With it being cold outside and a low idle this could also cause your misfire. Hope this helps.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
boo-mx3

Post by boo-mx3 »

hmm no its definately not an iac prob,
xxxguineapigxxx

Post by xxxguineapigxxx »

if the car has over 125 K miles replacing the disty cap might help for a couple more thousand....your gonna need to replace the whole disty most likely
92' MX3 GS 1.8L V6 :)
stock now...not for long
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I'd check for moisture in the disty cap. Sounds like a good plan to replace it.

Try misting your plug wires with water after dark. If you see electricity arcing to the manifold, replace the wires. Check your boots too.

I doubt an HEI mod is required, but it probably wouldn't hurt. I had a bad disty that only acted up while the vehicle was cold, but your problem doesn't sound as severe.

It never hurts to check for and eliminate all vacuum leaks, but that would be a more consistantly plaguing problem if you had a big leak.
Cody
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

on second thought i almost wonder if you have an exhaust leak, pre O2 sensor.
Cody
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Na, start with the tune-up and go from there. I bet it solves the problem. Unburnt gas is easily spark related. As the electronics warm up they work better and thus the car runs more efficiently. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Check the belts, coolant, brake fluid and all that other usual stuff (but they are not likely a part of the issue).
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
boo-mx3

Post by boo-mx3 »

thanks guys, maybe i wasnt so out to lunch on this one
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Well the hei mod is not necessary however it did resolve my cold start problems that I used to have. I remember my k8 would fuel flood in cold weather. I guess I had a dying hei. After i changed it, no more probs. Oh could also be timing related sicne my problem went away after i changed timing belt and hei at the same time.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
boo-mx3

Post by boo-mx3 »

ok i checked out the rotor and cap, holy wow there like brand new, even the outter seal is tight, next i think i should change those 7.5mm plug wires...hmmm i pulled the plug wire for the #1 cylinder and,,,, damn half the boot stayed in,,, Is this normal?

and now to think of it,, i am getting abit of a chirping noise from the timing belt side of the engine......hmmmmmmmm

gawd i wish i had $800 in canadian funds kickin around for a ze..lol
Cy

Post by Cy »

Just for the record...

256K on a disty = bad :? .....would explain 1 or 2 things :D

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”