why

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX3KEV21

why

Post by MX3KEV21 »

can someone tell me why when i put a new vaf sensor on my car which was the same as the old the engine pinked (preignition) jst once on startup, it has done it when i put a dsecond hand throttle body and vris valves on too, the parts are all the the same as the ones taken off. is this normal or is it a fault?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Not sure what you mean man, can you clairfy what you are saying? A better title may help to to get more views.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Your saying it pings once every time you change out a part and then stops immediately following? Are you disconnecting your battery each time you change out a part? If I am following you correctly.. this is probably because your initial timing is set too far advanced. The initial (or base) timing is used when you start your engine. After the engine is running.. the ECU gathers information from all the sensors on your engine and determines the best timing for the engine to operate the most efficiently. If the Knock sensor detects a ping.. it will send a signal to the ECU.. the ECU then retards the timing accordingly. Each time you disconnect the battery.. the ECU is losing its saved data regarding the timing the engine should be adjusted to. Just a couple of thoughts..

Tunes67

P.S. This is different from the B6 4cyl engines.
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
MX3KEV21

Post by MX3KEV21 »

no i dont disconnect the battery just keep the ignition off. since yesterday the engine has pinged about four times all just on start up but never when moving. the car seems to act differently when it pings ie: smells of fuel from exhaust and seems slower then it will ping sometime later and the smell will go and the car will be normal its doing this all the time. mazda dealer dont know what it could be but they tried to plug in the diagnostic computer and the ecu wont communicate. does anybody know what other factors cause engine ping apart from running lean and timing which has been checked.
MX3KEV21

Post by MX3KEV21 »

forgot to add when engine has pinged and its runnind slower the idle will drop for a second then come back to normal when coming to a stop and clutch depressed. but when engine is running fine the idles dont do that.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Since your in the UK.. you dont get CEL codes.. and I am not sure how to get the CEL Code equivalent for you.. but.. at a guess.. I'd bet your knock sensor is going bad. Find a way to check the ECU trouble codes.. I am sure the information is somewhere around this website.. it has to have been discussed before. Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

Tunes67 wrote:Since your in the UK.. you dont get CEL codes.. and I am not sure how to get the CEL Code equivalent for you.. but.. at a guess.. I'd bet your knock sensor is going bad. Find a way to check the ECU trouble codes.. I am sure the information is somewhere around this website.. it has to have been discussed before. Best of luck.

Tunes67

Search function...

I think if you jump FEN and GND with a test light it will mimic the CEL...
93 GS SE
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

I would reset base timing and reset the ecu, after you pull codes of course.
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I agree with the last two posts.
10 and GND with a test light to pull codes- the ECU and then check the timing, if off reset timing.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MX3KEV21

Post by MX3KEV21 »

thanks for the replies. i had the ecu checked at my local mazda dealer and there was no codes stored. they think it could be timing belt tensioner moving making timing jump when first started and then causing ecu to compensate by retarding/advancing timing. is this possible? if it was would it not click every start up?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yes its possible. If its not the Knock sensor going bad.. then the timing belt tensioner is the other item that could cause a similar symptom.

Tunes67

ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

man are you sure your just not mistaking this sound for your lifters making clacking on start up..
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
MX3KEV21

Post by MX3KEV21 »

its definately not the lifters. its just one click, i disconnected the knock sensor and the noise still happened.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”