was checking under the hood and car died??????

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
azkcar135

was checking under the hood and car died??????

Post by azkcar135 »

the car has been running rough lately and i still can't figure it out. i was doing the old pull a spark plug wire to see if the engine ran worse or the same well i did the front thre fine the engine bogged everytime well the back one on the left facing the engine when i pulled it the engine chugged then died. so i out it back on and tried to start it and nothing happened. pulled of one of the plug wires and strted the engine and no spark? looked every where for an ignition fuse or somthing and i couldn't find anything. please help my car is stuck at work and its all i got right now!!!
new to mx-3, just bought one 1992 gs $900 good deal or not?
mab

Post by mab »

you fried a weak coil you need a distributor. not cheap, you should look up hei modes in facts forum.
Nothing like an mx3 project car
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I'd double check for spark first. If none then find the fuse, they are labeled so it is not that hard, just read the panel to see which it is. Matter of fact you could just pull each one and see if any are burned. Make sure to pull only one at a time so that you don't get confused when putting them back.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
azkcar135

Post by azkcar135 »

could i just get another coil? i don't want to do anything extra on this i really don't need the hei upgrade i just want it running. i checked all the fuses no ignition fuse at all none i read through each one.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

There is an ignition fuse, you just aren't seeing it or are looking for the wrong abrevaition. The only way to get a new coil or HEI is to buy a new disty (400 bucks at most places).
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
azkcar135

Post by azkcar135 »

is it under the hood in that box cause i looked is it in the kick panel?
azkcar135

Post by azkcar135 »

why can't i just replace the coil in the distibutor??? i pulled it out and looked up on auto zone and they had all in individual parts? is mine different?
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

No it is not, but all the parts of the disty wear out and replacing one part will not necessarily mean that the strian of the coil didn't wear on other parts.
azkcar135

Post by azkcar135 »

PATDIESEL wrote:No it is not, but all the parts of the disty wear out and replacing one part will not necessarily mean that the strian of the coil didn't wear on other parts.
ok i guess i'm retarded. if i can pull out the coil and the cam sensor why can't it be replaced. how does the coil wear in a solid steel shaft and aluminum?

whats the part number for the probe that sticks out in the hei conversion i looked on the FAQ and couldn't find it.
azkcar135

Post by azkcar135 »

soo i did some trouble shooting on the car. the three wires to the coil. well the red wire is suppose to be ground well its putting 12v through? the other two are also putting out 12v. being that i'm broke i went to the junk yard and found a 626 with an external coil. i drilled a hole through the distibutor and mated the probe in the cap to the cable then connected it to the to the coil. then connected the the three wires to the coil. well it still didn't work. but i really don't know what exactly goes to the wires on the 626 coil get? theres a black with yellow wire and two red with blue wires? what stops me from just hooking up a normal coil and running it that way. why can't i skip the hei?
azkcar135

Post by azkcar135 »

anyone?
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

I see you are desperate, but trying to do things without knowig what you are doing is going to lead to more problems.
It is difficult to give a good explination of why/how electrical parts will wear on others if one is not working properly, but bascially one part not doing its job is going to make the others work harder and thus wear. I'm not talking about an electrical part wearing out a metal part...
If you want to try replacing just the internal coil then do so. It is not hard and is cheaper. However, what I'm saying is that it might work for a long time or something else might show its wear shortly after and then you need that part too. Buying a whole disty or doing the external coil and HEI mod are cheaper than buying the disty's internals one at a time.
azkcar135

Post by azkcar135 »

i realize that but yea i'm desperate this car has given me nothing but problems!!! i know nothing about it and nothing is easy to get to. according to the schematics on the hei conversion page the red wire should be ground. right? cause my wire puts out 12v. and i still cannot find the ignition fuse. its not in the fuse box with the 100 amp main fuse cause i looked. did an ohms check on the coil and it read really low it should be around 14 to 18. i still can't find the part number for the probe that you put in the cap??? thanks

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”