no spark

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
NeZmO

no spark

Post by NeZmO »

I'm sort of in a bind and I have searched forums for some info but please dont' get mad if I didn't search the right way. I HAVE seen some faq's about if you have a 93-under mx-3 and you get a 94-up ze that the one coolant plug, knock sensor, and crank position sensor have to be modified. I have done the two cept for the cp sensor. Now I don't know what model ze I have b/c the seller didn't provide me with that information so I'm j/going by those 3 sensors. So I put in my ze over the weekend, turned it over and no spark to the distributor. First impression... bad dist. or coil. But they check out good with an ohm meter. My question is (and I have been told this is true) that if your crank position sensor is different will that cause you to have no spark? Is it wired in somehow in series with the disributor? I can't get a decent wiring diagram that's detailed, Chilton's manual doesn't give me much. From what i've been told when you have this motor you need to use the k8 cps. Neone else have this problem? Thanks for any input.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Well after doing several ZE/DE swaps in the Mx-3...the only reason y u swap the CPS is because the clip is opposite of what comes on a ZE/DE. Other than thats they will still measure the same resistance, So they will work.

I would say check for grounds, if the disty/coil/ignitor all check out fine.

PS. the 3rd coolant sensor will only make the fans run while the key is in the on position....that will not have any affect on spark.

I never heard anything about the knocl sesnor...the only thing is the Probe/Mx-6 knock sensor is mounted on the TB side...where the MX-3 harness is made to be mounted on the timing belt side, just move the clip over and ur set...no modifications needed.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
NeZmO

Post by NeZmO »

Well I have a cps sensor and I will try swapping the k8 one to ze. If that doesn't have an effect like you say then I guess it's off to the muddy junkyard for a de one. It's crazy I checked at autozone the other day for a price on a de dist. and they said $320. That's friggin ridiculous and half of what I PAID for my Ze.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

The CPS can be disconnected and the car will still spark. That has nothing to do with having no spark.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”