Where are FE3 engines?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Nomad_69er

Where are FE3 engines?

Post by Nomad_69er »

What cars used them? Where were they used? And what makes them different/better than a BP? Thanks!

Bryan
Nomad_69er

Post by Nomad_69er »

Anyone know anything about these engines? How easy are they to swap?
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I think it`s from a Kia. Not sure about the model though.

I expect it`s kinda expensive, since it`s a pretty new engine.

EDIT: Seems I was way of there :) Actually a pretty old engine.
http://members.aol.com/solomiata/FE3.html

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Nomad_69er wrote:Anyone know anything about these engines? How easy are they to swap?
Most common source is the 1 Gen Kia Sportage for RWD applications. The SOHC and SOHC turbo version were is in North America in the 1 gen RWD 626. Other that the Sportage the DOHC version is a rare find these days especially for a FWD. You are talking about an engine that started life as a diesel truck engine and is mid 70 to early '80s technology. Don't even expect it to be anything close to plug and play. Being an ex diesel, it can take a lot of boost as it was originally design to have 18:1 compression seeing them built to over 1000hp isn't that far fetched although now the Mazda L series engines have taken over and used in several serie of motorsport racing.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

isnt the SOHC motors the F2 and F2T and the DOHC the FE3
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Nomad_69er

Post by Nomad_69er »

So Yoda, you're telling me the Kia Sportage with an FE3 has an 18:1 compression ratio? I doubt it. There have been a couple of people that have done the swap and I'm just curious at what had to be done to make the swap possible? Thanks for any help.

Bryan
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Nomad_69er wrote:So Yoda, you're telling me the Kia Sportage with an FE3 has an 18:1 compression ratio? I doubt it. There have been a couple of people that have done the swap and I'm just curious at what had to be done to make the swap possible? Thanks for any help.

Bryan
Yoda wrote: Being an ex diesel, it can take a lot of boost as it was originally design to have 18:1 compression
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Nomad_69er wrote:So Yoda, you're telling me the Kia Sportage with an FE3 has an 18:1 compression ratio? I doubt it. There have been a couple of people that have done the swap and I'm just curious at what had to be done to make the swap possible? Thanks for any help.

Bryan
if anyone knows anything its Yoda, he said it was an EX diesel engine. and they have high compression. if you dont belive him then instead of asking on the forum, open a book and do some research.
Nomad_69er

Post by Nomad_69er »

I was never really questioning his reply, but was just shocked at the findings...mainly originating from a diesal engine. Sorry if it came off a little rude and sorry for the misunderstanding. All the replies and help ARE really appreciated!
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

had a 18:1 compression ratio like many diesels thats how they make power and spool the turbo at such a low rpm. yoda is one person who knows what he's talking about as his info was correct and came in handy a couple times for me.
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
SilverSurfer60

Post by SilverSurfer60 »

So, if I have a bad 1.6 DOHC in a 94' MX3, what's the best option for a low cost replacement? Thanks for any thoughts ...
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If you just wanna keep going...you can find a stock replacement for $550 from any engine recycler. It's up to you how much work you want to do to "freshen it up" but I went this route for economy and plugged it right in and so far it's in great shape.

If you want to upgrade there are many options depending on your budget. You could do a full rebuild of your B6 and with a little massaging and some upgraded parts get a modest gain. Some guys have built and turbo'd their B6 with excellent results (this is my plan). Lots of guys swear by the BP swap, and although as engine swaps go it's very easy, it is more complicated and can be costly. Your lucky you are working with a 94' as the wiring is a bit simpler for the BP swap.

If you search the forum you'll find that this topic has been discussed over and over and over....and over. And then over again.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

92-93 is simpler for BP swap - 94 is a bit difficult - it also depends on what year the BP engine is.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Josh wrote:

Bryan
if anyone knows anything its Yoda, he said it was an EX diesel engine. and they have high compression. if you dont belive him then instead of asking on the forum, open a book and do some research.
As a gas engine the CR is more like 9.5:1. The RF and RF-TDi are still a very common engine in Europe. I've been talking to a guy in France making 310hp at the wheels with a RF-T with the boost cranked up and injecting shots of propane. He's doing low, low 12s 400m runs. What makes him this fast is that he is making over 500ft/lb of torque well under 4500rpm and never has to shift higher that 4 gear. The other advantage of the FE/ RF is that the bore and stroke are equal dimentions so you have a broad flat torque curve and good peak HP numbers. This usually leads to a high hp/L ratio than other engine like the BP, F2, FS, etc.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”